Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#334671 - 03/16/05 09:47 PM Define Multi-family
LittleOne Offline
LittleOne
Midland, Tx
i am haveing a CRA training for my loan officers but can't find a "workable" definition of Multi-Family. Heres what I have: "Non-Farm properties with 5 or more dwelling units in structures used to primarily accommodate households on a more or less permanent basis. A Dwelling with five or more families. A multi-family loan is one that is secured by property that contains 5 or more units.
Examples are - Apartment Buildings, apartment hotel.

Return to Top
CRA
#334672 - 03/16/05 10:01 PM Re: Define Multi-family
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I'd leave off at the more or less permanent basis description (first sentence). The rest leaves a lender room to play. For instance, A dwelling with five or more families...so I have a single family residence with 3 generations of two families living in it (happens in some cultures so don't shake your head). That's multi-family under your description.

Keep it simple and say any residential realestate secured loan with more than five attached units used to accomodate households on a more or less permanent basis. Example: Apartment building

Exclude structures used for transient purposes or other business purposes that do not include permanet occupancy. Example, Hotel, Motel, Dormatories, Homeless shelters.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#334673 - 03/16/05 10:08 PM Re: Define Multi-family
LittleOne Offline
LittleOne
Midland, Tx
dawnie - what about the 5 or more part? is that five or more families or units?

Return to Top
#334674 - 03/16/05 10:33 PM Re: Define Multi-family
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Units. You can have six million families living in a single family residence and it wouldn't count as a multi-family structure. (But the plumbing would be experiencing MAJOR failures)

Return to Top
#334675 - 03/17/05 02:56 PM Re: Define Multi-family
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Here's an explanation I gave in a previous post. Maybe it will help. If it further confuses the issue, I apologize.

A 1-4 family dwelling is any residential dwelling with less than 5 units. 5 or more units make a multi-family unit. The units do not have to be owner occupied. And if you have 5 families living in a 10 bedroom house, it is not a multi-family unit, it is a 1-4 family unit. 1-4 and multi refers to the design of the unit. Was it designed for 1 family to live in or was it designed for multiple families to live in?

Condos and cooperatives are individual 1-4 family units under one roof, each unit has its own deed and individual owners. When you make a loan to someone for a condo you do not have a lien on the whole condo complex, just the individual unit that the person is buying or refinancing.

Take a 50 apartment complex. If the owner of the complex “rents” each apartment then it is a multi-family unit. If the owner decides to make the “apartment” complex a “condo” complex and starts “selling” and deeding the individual “apartments”, they now become 1-4 family units.

Return to Top
#334676 - 03/17/05 06:57 PM Re: Define Multi-family
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I'm glad we tricked Dan into the CRA threads He's the king when it comes to this stuff!!!

Return to Top