Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#336162 - 03/18/05 10:01 PM PEP Database
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone have a link to PEP's (or if one exists?) or do we have to subscribe to get it?

Thanks.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#336163 - 03/18/05 10:25 PM Re: PEP Database
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
The OCC stated in their webinar this week that there is no such list that's available to the public.

I don't know if that means that there is a list, but we can't have it - or that there just isn't such a thing. I would think it would be next to impossible to compile such a list with any kind of degree of completeness.

Return to Top
#336164 - 03/18/05 10:26 PM Re: PEP Database
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
There is information available at the CIA's website at http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/chiefs/

You can search for a name or browse by country.

Return to Top
#336165 - 03/18/05 11:19 PM Re: PEP Database
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The CIA list is really the most complete, if not the only, source.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#336166 - 03/18/05 11:36 PM Re: PEP Database
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
The product that we use for CIP and OFAC also screens for PEP. I don't know specifically where this list resides though.

Return to Top
#336167 - 03/19/05 12:40 AM Re: PEP Database

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The systems I have researched use the CIA list.Of course, they also search other lists for other purposes such as the FBI list, Customs lists of debarred parties, etc.

Return to Top
#336168 - 03/19/05 03:11 PM Re: PEP Database
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Do most of your banks subscribe to one of the automated software packages that scrub your CIF or do you manually check new account names?

Return to Top
#336169 - 03/19/05 04:31 PM Re: PEP Database
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
We use LexisNexis for our non-documentary CIP verification and have been told that they have an option to check for PEPs in addition to their standard OFAC check. They are getting me more information on this. Contact them if you would like additional information.

Return to Top
#336170 - 03/23/05 12:57 PM Re: PEP Database
Anonymous
Unregistered

we use Bridger and ther list comes from the United Nations

guidance is available at
www.treas.gov/press/releases/docs/guidance.htm

Return to Top
#336171 - 03/24/05 12:34 PM Re: PEP Database
Anonymous
Unregistered

the CIA list is only names

when you have a suspect how do you verify it is correct or not. there is no DOB, TIN, address, etc to help the process like the OFAC list.

and I have found no where else to help

does anyone have a way to verify??????

Return to Top
#336172 - 03/24/05 02:50 PM Re: PEP Database

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
You could investigate World-Check. It is heavy duty id checking aimed at international banking.

Since we didn't need something that serious at this point we checked names against the CIA list. If we had a match we would have investigated further including speaking with the customer to determine an affiliation if any to the political figure.

Return to Top
#336173 - 04/07/05 02:04 PM Re: PEP Database
Anonymous
Unregistered

Neither the CIA List nor the UN List is a PEP list. They are simply lists of Heads of States--which falls well below the definitions (OECD, FATF, Wolfsberg, etc.) of what a PEP is. PEPs include ALL levels of senior government, as well as anyone that may be representing their interests (family, business, bankers, etc.). Governments are not in this business, so there is no, and nor will there every be any such thing as an 'official' PEP list. This is what vendors like World-Check do--they maintain a database of PEPs and other high-risk customers.

Return to Top
#336174 - 04/07/05 06:14 PM Re: PEP Database
Banker X Offline
CA
There are two vendors that provide the PEP list - World Compliance and World Check. From what I've seen, they provide database of names and relevant information (I believe it was over 500,000 names). I don't think it comes with a program to scan your database. The annual subscription fee is probably out of reach for most of the banks.

A simple solution that I've seen is to ask the customer at new accounts. "Are you related to a foreign government official? If yes, who?" You turn the smart ones away and catch the dumb ones.

Return to Top
#336175 - 04/07/05 06:32 PM Re: PEP Database
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Good idea for face to face apps, but not for web apps.

Also, TFP has a Pep database product. They're formally known as Thompson Financial.

Return to Top
#336176 - 04/07/05 06:59 PM Re: PEP Database
Banker X Offline
CA
Princess,

TFP resells World Compliance. They do have a compiled version of the CIA list as a part of their Global Watchlist database but I'm not sure if you can call it a PEP database.

Return to Top
#336177 - 04/08/05 04:08 PM Re: PEP Database
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just reviewed a product from FACTIVA "Public Figures & Associates". It contains a pretty comprehensive list of PEPs and friends, is updated frequently and is easy to use. It would be a great addition to the aresenal of tools needed to "Know your customers" but trying to find the funds to support all of this is tough.

Return to Top
#336178 - 04/08/05 07:25 PM Re: PEP Database
Ucan'tdothat Offline
Ucan'tdothat
Miami
I have the Wolrd Compliance database that I purchased with a search engine. We are currently "scrubbing" our existing CIF files angainst the data base and then will scrub new accounts and addtions to the database on a regular basis. We jsut had our BSA exam and the examiners seemed to really like it

Return to Top
#336179 - 04/19/05 02:26 PM Re: PEP Database
Anonymous
Unregistered

www.complinet.com do a PEP database too, including all the Factiva Public figures data.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z