Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#341960 - 04/01/05 07:24 PM Cash Transaction Reporting
ashirley Offline
New Poster
NY State
Example in question: Mr & Mrs Customer requested a transfer of $20,500.00 (from their joint account with our institution) to their daughter's account (single ownership account with same institution). For privacy purposes, we ran the transaction as a cash withdrawal from the parent's account and as a cash deposit to the daughter's account. Because it was a transfer request, we are unsure as to whether or not we should consider this for CTR reporting, SAR reporting, or log it in our over $3000.00 log as a transfer of funds between two Social Security numbers. Any help or input about this would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you-

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#341961 - 04/01/05 07:40 PM Re: Cash Transaction Reporting
Are we there yet? Offline
Trying to find Nemo
If you didn't physically receive or give out the money to anyone you don't have a CTR to file.

Is the transactions suspicious? What about it makes you feel something is suspicious?

I'm not sure why you would need to put this transaction in your $3000 log either. It seems to be a simple transfer of funds between two accounts.

Return to Top
#341962 - 04/01/05 08:00 PM Re: Cash Transaction Reporting
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I agree- there's nothing to report, because the transaction did not involve actual currency.

Return to Top
#341963 - 04/01/05 08:11 PM Re: Cash Transaction Reporting
GregS Offline
100 Club
Sunny Florida
Sooo.... How much CASH actually was withdrawn and/or deposited that you want to log, file, report?

What is the felonious act they are suspected of committing?

Return to Top
#341964 - 04/03/05 01:23 PM Re: Cash Transaction Reporting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Example in question: Mr & Mrs Customer requested a transfer of $20,500.00 (from their joint account with our institution) to their daughter's account (single ownership account with same institution). For privacy purposes, we ran the transaction as a cash withdrawal from the parent's account and as a cash deposit to the daughter's account.

First, it seems there was no actual cash. Secondly, though, the *bank* decided to work the transaction as a cash transaction not the customer. What did they do to you such that you want to report them for a transaction that you concocted?

Return to Top
#341965 - 04/03/05 05:26 PM Re: Cash Transaction Reporting
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I don't think the transaction was concocted; nor do I believe the question came out of a desire to do something to the customer. The bank simply used fictitious cash transactions to facilitate the transaction requested by the customer. Now the bank is wondering whether it needs to treat it as a cash transaction. Had the bank handled this in another way, the question would never have come up.

I don't think the question involved WANTING to report the transaction. The question is WHETHER, and we've answered it with a resounding "NO."
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#341966 - 04/04/05 03:35 AM Re: Cash Transaction Reporting
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
It is a transfer of funds subject to the recordkeeping rules for transfers of $3,000 and up. The "cash" was simply a contrivance on the part of the bank to facilitate the transfer.

I'm not understanding why "privacy" came into this. Did the parents not want the daughter to know they transfered the $20,500? What privacy issues are there? If you completed a transaction authorized by the customer, there are no privacy issues, and you made a simple transaction much more complex.

You will probably need to write some sort of memo to some sort of file to explain why this virtual "cash" transaction is not being reported on a CTR in case the question comes up in an audit or an exam.

Beyond that, I think you need to examine why you believe you needed to conduct the transaction in the manner in which you did.

Return to Top
#341967 - 04/04/05 01:25 PM Re: Cash Transaction Reporting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I don't think the transaction was concocted; nor do I believe the question came out of a desire to do something to the customer. The bank simply used fictitious cash transactions to facilitate the transaction requested by the customer. Now the bank is wondering whether it needs to treat it as a cash transaction. Had the bank handled this in another way, the question would never have come up.

Your last sentence is the key point. I also agree that the bank means no ill-will towards the customer. That said, the bank used a fictitious cash transaction to facilitate the transfer from parent to daughter, and then contemplated filing a CTR on the fictitious cash transaction. Well meaning or not, and intentions notwithstanding, the best anyone could hope for would be that no one would follow-up the report.

If there had been any investigative follow-up, think of the questions that could have been asked, and how the bank would have looked when those questions were answered...
"What date/time did Daughter Customer present $20,500 present the cash for deposit?" "Which teller handled the deposit?" "Did Daughter say anything about where the money came from?" "What denominations were the bills, what condition......."

"Well, you see, there was never any *actual* cash per se.."

Return to Top
#341968 - 04/04/05 05:29 PM Re: Cash Transaction Reporting
Anonymous
Unregistered

While there was never any acutal cash...I can see it now...a BSA examnier or IA coming and it appearing as if this was a cash transaction...the transaction better be well documented that no cash actually left or came into the bank. From my POV (as internal audit), I see cash tickets I want to know where the CTR is?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z