Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#343035 - 04/05/05 08:52 PM another CTR question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read previous posts, Here is the scenario I have a customer that deposits lets say $12,000.00 into his joint account with his wife. I know that I am suppose to add his wifes name to page 2. We did that , this was an old account,so old we did not even have her SS number let alone her drivers license number on file. What are we suppose to do call that individual up and get it. I called Detroit and they indicated that it is required on the form, but if there not here and its an old account what do you do, just not include the second name on the second page.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#343036 - 04/05/05 09:30 PM Re: another CTR question
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
I'd call and try to get the info from her or from her husband. Maybe write a letter of that doesn't work.

Return to Top
#343037 - 04/06/05 01:09 PM Re: another CTR question
Anonymous
Unregistered

From FinCEN:

When a financial institution determines to send a CTR to the Detroit Computing Center with an incomplete Section A, it must document the reasons why the information in Section A is incomplete, explain the reasonable, good faith efforts it made to obtain the information, and
provide any other information it deems relevant, including whether a suspicious activity report was filed. If a CTR is submitted without Section A completed and without this information, it will be returned asking for the missing information.

Return to Top
#343038 - 08/16/05 03:49 PM Re: another CTR question
Anonymous
Unregistered

What FinCEN guidance/issuance is that from?

Return to Top
#343039 - 08/16/05 04:42 PM Re: another CTR question
Anonymous
Unregistered

According to my old trusty Profit Protection BSA manual for item 14, check box d (other) and type N/A. As far as the SS # I would try to call the customer and get this information.

Return to Top
#343040 - 08/16/05 06:25 PM Re: another CTR question
Starter Offline
Platinum Poster
Starter
NJ
try to call the customer and get it? OK, you call me at home and ask me to give you my social security number over the phone......No Way.....
The only way this would work is if it is a regular customer who knows the bank employee very well that is calling them - otherwise, who would give out their ss# over the phone in these times of identity theft?

Return to Top
#343041 - 08/17/05 02:21 AM Re: another CTR question
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
When you call, mention the $12,000 transaction they made on XX-XX-XXXX at the ___________ branch. That might make them feel more comfortable that they are speaking to a bank employee. Or ask them to call the bank's main phone line. They can verify the phone number in the phone book or on-line.

There are plenty of ways to get around this issue. The point is that the bank should make a good faith effort to collect the information for the CTR (and your signature card).

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z