Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#346580 - 04/13/05 10:24 PM Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activity?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an exempted non-listed retail business whom our examiners think may be integrating funds. They have observed the customer traffic at the store and don't think it justifies the cash deposits made at our bank. They are recommending the exemption be revoked. Do I need to do that or just continue to monitor for suspicious activity?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#346581 - 04/13/05 11:18 PM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activity?
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
How long did they monitor the traffic at the store?
Have you done a site visit and monitored the types of items they sell and the traffic?
Do examiners go out and monitor activity in a customers place of business?

Return to Top
#346582 - 04/14/05 02:32 AM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activity?
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You actually have examiners that are going out and monitoring customer traffic at some of your customer locations to see if an exemption is valid? I'm with Magic on this one - for how long. Fifteen minutes while they buying a cup of coffee and their donut for their morning break?

Give me a break. Please tell me that isn't really so. Could you share what agency are you dealing with? You must have performed your due diligence at the time the exemption was granted and that documentation wasn't sufficient?

I'm would be very interested in a few more details.

Return to Top
#346583 - 04/14/05 02:49 AM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Thank the examiners for bringing this to your attention. Cancel all Phase II exemptions. Notify the examiners that you have solved the problem.

Return to Top
#346584 - 04/14/05 02:59 AM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Richard,

You know that you and I agree on this issue and actually that would be my recommendation also. But, these are the type of actions taken by field examiners that really need to be questioned and brought to the attention of the heads of the regulatory agencies. You have to admit this is a little over the top.

I listened to John Byrne from the ABA speak on this topic on Tuesday and he indicated that they are very interested in these types of actions in the field. I would recommend that the anon drop John a line concerning this situation.

Unless - of course - this is part of the test of the new interagency exam guidelines

Return to Top
#346585 - 04/14/05 04:34 PM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
Anonymous
Unregistered

We're FDIC regulated. The BSA exam took 7 days and they said they visited the business "several" times during the exam. I am serious that they staked out the customer's business. They acknowledged, however, that they only visited during the day, not at night or over the weekend. It's a store which targets teen clothing so evenings and weekends should be busier than during school hours. The problem is that the store deposits cash two or three times per day during the day. The FDIC is concerned that by keeping the exemption we could be "aiding and abetting" the store's perceived illegal activity. Certainly, revoking this, or all, of my Phase II exemptions would solve the problem but I'm not interested in spending time filing CTRs that I don't need to file.

Return to Top
#346586 - 04/14/05 04:39 PM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I like the contest, actually enjoy it, but I would not fight over this one. I'd revoke the exemption in a heart beat and put them on my high risk list regardless of whether I agreed...just because I've got other things to do. (That's assuming the FDIC doesn't intend to criticize me for any prior actions, they just think I should remove the exemption.)

Quote:

I am serious that they staked out the customer's business.

Did they also listen to police scanners while they were in your bank?
Last edited by Ken_Pegasus; 04/14/05 04:54 PM.
Return to Top
#346587 - 04/14/05 04:48 PM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I again encourage you to share this experience with John Byrne.

Return to Top
#346588 - 04/14/05 04:58 PM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll share with John

Return to Top
#346589 - 04/14/05 05:00 PM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Quote:

I again encourage you to share this experience with John Byrne.

I agree. John can use these kinds of reports to keep the policy-makers honest. There's no better way for them to learn what's actually happening in the field. If the examiners really are carrying out agency policy, then we can at least get a clear acknowledgement of exam procedures.

Return to Top
#346590 - 04/14/05 05:29 PM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Where are you located?

Return to Top
#346591 - 04/15/05 01:32 PM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
Anonymous
Unregistered

The FDIC examiners are from the Kansas City field office

Return to Top
#346592 - 04/15/05 03:22 PM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
GregS Offline
100 Club
Sunny Florida
Could you send those examiners to Florida for a couple weeks to stake out some of my MSB's. The FDIC group we just had from Tampa wasn't interested in this sort of activity at all and my Branch Managers are such whiners about being too busy to visit them.
Kansas City FDIC must budget more hours for their exams.

Return to Top
#346593 - 05/20/05 04:28 PM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
OCC examiners did the same thing with one of our customers last year. We wound up closing the account. End of hassle.

Return to Top
#346594 - 05/20/05 05:51 PM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
dare2dream Offline
100 Club
dare2dream
California
I agree with you Greg on the MSB issue. It would be nice to get some out there to do some site visits for me too

I'm surprised to see this kind of activity with the examiners, but I guess I shouldn't be.

I agree with the ones that wouldn't fight it... Just do it, and go forward, it's not wortht the fight with examiners in most cases... You might win the fight, but is it worth the war?

Return to Top
#346595 - 05/24/05 03:45 PM Re: Revoke non-listed exemption/suspicious activit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd only fight it if you can reasonably argue that you did in fact truly know your customer. I suspect that the inconsistency between the business activity and cash deposited was news to you, and must have been fairly obvious to pique the interest of the examiners during their short visit. As such, I wouldn't start whining that examiners are going too far.... this case just may be good evidence as to why they feel that they have to "stake" out places.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z