Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#355232 - 05/04/05 01:02 PM SAR for insider abuse
commbanker Offline
New Poster
My Bank terminated a teller for "force balancing" her teller drawer because she added her personal funds to her cash drawer in order to be in balance. Would this qualify as "Insider Abuse" and require the filing of a SAR? I'm not clear on this as I don't know if this incident would be classified as a Federal criminal violation. After she "balanced" she did sign a proof sheet indicating that she was in balance which I consider to be a falsification of Bank records.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#355233 - 05/04/05 02:34 PM Re: SAR for insider abuse
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
I personally would file a SAR because this seems suspicious to me. It could be argued either way as to whether this is insider abuse. It is possible that this teller was simply sacrificing her own funds in the name of bona fide balancing errors. It is also possible that she was paying back "loans" she was taking from her drawer, which is definitely insider abuse.

Return to Top
#355234 - 05/04/05 03:02 PM Re: SAR for insider abuse
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I also would file as there is no $ threshold on employees and they are definintely in violation of Ethics, irregardless or whether they are paying back money taken, or just don't want to be reprimanded for being out of balance.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#355235 - 05/05/05 10:15 PM Re: SAR for insider abuse
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The filing trigger for insider abuse is conditioned on a belief that the employee committed a crime.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z