Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#357935 - 05/10/05 08:07 PM Potential MSB Monitoring
Mel Offline
100 Club
If I'm understanding the recent guidance correctly, our primary responsibility is gathering registrations, conducting risk, etc. on the MSBs in our customer database that are registered with FinCEN. Are we required to train staff to be "on the lookout" for customers that we think may be an MSB based on the types of transactions we've seen?
Before this guidance was issued, I had a list of possible MSBs, because of the cash activity I noticed on a report. I completely understand how to handle a registered MSB but what about those unregistered that may simply be unaware of what's required? How far do we take it?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#357936 - 05/10/05 09:45 PM Re: Potential MSB Monitoring
Just Jean Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
It probbly depends on your regulator but ours (FDIC) recommended we "strongly suggest" to the business that they register. I think that providing the msb.gov address would be a good start and then document what you said to whom and when. It is my opinion that you would be offering legal and or tax advice to do much more than provide the information.
Last edited by Prairie Gardener; 05/10/05 09:46 PM.
Return to Top
#357937 - 05/10/05 09:45 PM Re: Potential MSB Monitoring
complianceman Offline
Platinum Poster
complianceman
New Albany, IN
When your financial institution is opening new accounts for business entities, you may want to have the entity complete a commercial account checklist that asks various questions that will help you conduct your risk assessment including determining if a new customer is an MSB.

As for your current customers, if you suspect they are an MSB in accordance with the definition of an MSB (31 CFR 103.11 (uu)), I would have the person responsible for the account (branch manager) contact or visit the customer and ask a few questions. If it appears they would be classified as an MSB, require them to present the materials as stated in the Interagency guidance. Additionally, if they are classified as an MSB and they are not registered, you will need to file a SAR on them.

Return to Top
#357938 - 05/11/05 12:49 PM Re: Potential MSB Monitoring
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Quote:

Before this guidance was issued, I had a list of possible MSBs, because of the cash activity I noticed on a report.

Another way to know if you have an MSB would be from the third party check deposits? A lot of banks do not accept these items and it is a teller function to look at the checks in the deposit to ensure that they are payable to the account holder only.
And as you mentioned, cash out to fund the check cashing would be the other activity that would tell you that the account may be a check casher.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z