Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#358079 - 05/10/05 11:05 PM Loan to SDN
SonnyGirl Offline
Gold Star
We haven't had a hit, however, realized we do not have a procedure in place on the loan side if a potential borrower is actually on the OFAC list. What would you tell the applicant? Adverse action notice with "Other" reason: "You're on the OFAC list"?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#358080 - 05/11/05 11:40 AM Re: Loan to SDN
Anonymous
Unregistered

there's a phrase I've seen Ken use in answers on similar threads. It's something like "Does not meet the bank's credit standards". Nice and bland, descriptive without being exact.

Return to Top
#358081 - 05/11/05 02:24 PM Re: Loan to SDN
SonnyGirl Offline
Gold Star
Thanks for the info! This would not present a problem with Reg B since we are to provide specific reasons for denial?

Return to Top
#358082 - 05/11/05 03:08 PM Re: Loan to SDN
Anonymous
Unregistered

Someone more expert than me on loan regs would have to speak to that. I think there would have to be a balance between the requirement to provide specfic reasons for denial with the expectation that you not 'tip off' the SDN.

(A little silly, I'll grant, since the list is publicly available. In the organizations I've worked, we try to not tell people they're on a government sanction list if we can avoid it. So, I'm only speaking from my own experience.)

Return to Top
#358083 - 05/11/05 04:59 PM Re: Loan to SDN
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Thanks for the info! This would not present a problem with Reg B since we are to provide specific reasons for denial?

This would be a Reg B violation for not providing a specific reason for denial. However, I think the "logic" is that it is better to have a Reg B technical violation than to tell the applicant that they appear on the SDN list. I'm not defending this practice, but I believe this is the reasoning.

Return to Top
#358084 - 05/11/05 05:14 PM Re: Loan to SDN
SonnyGirl Offline
Gold Star
Thanks, David, do you have another suggestion for providing the reason? I agree it would be better to have the Reg B violation and it is very unlikely this scenario would happen, just seeing what other banks' procedures might be.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z