Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#358358 - 05/11/05 06:12 PM Flood insurance- buildings built over water
starfish Offline
Gold Star
starfish
Seattle
I've read the FEMA Mandatory Purchase of Flood Insurance Guidelines in relation to buildings built completely over water or house boats...it states that they cannot be insured under the Program if the buildind was newly constructed or substantially improved on or after October 1, 1982. Would we be required to get a flood determination on these types of loans even though they are not insurable? For example, a boat slip that is covered with a roof?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#358359 - 05/11/05 06:47 PM Re: Flood insurance- buildings built over water
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
IMO yes. A property located in a nonparticipating community is also not elgible for coverage under the NFIP, but you still have to do the determination and provide the notice if it is located in a SFHA.

Return to Top
#358360 - 05/11/05 07:02 PM Re: Flood insurance- buildings built over water
starfish Offline
Gold Star
starfish
Seattle
Thanks, Dan. We do have a situation where we are just taking a boat slip (no roof over it)...in this case, I'm thinking it's not a walled and roofed structure, so we would not need to do a flood determination? Do you agree?

Return to Top
#358361 - 05/11/05 07:05 PM Re: Flood insurance- buildings built over water
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Thanks, Dan. We do have a situation where we are just taking a boat slip (no roof over it)...in this case, I'm thinking it's not a walled and roofed structure, so we would not need to do a flood determination? Do you agree?

Yes.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z