Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#358863 - 05/12/05 06:45 PM CIP and new loan customers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it true that with real estate customers we do not need to obtain primary id? We have alternative methods (ie credit reports, tax returns, statements, etc.) We just went through an OTS exam and they recommended that we input primary id on our customer information system files. Why don't we need that for our loan customers???

Thanks,

Duke

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#358864 - 05/12/05 07:11 PM Re: CIP and new loan customers
yorockie Offline
My own private island
I assume that by primary ID, you mean photo ID of some sort? Section 326 requires that you verify enough information about your customer to form a reasonable belief that you know the true identity of the customer. You can use documentary or non-documentary methods to identify your customer. The regulatory agencies have an expectation that you do obtain a form of government issued, non-expired photo ID showing residence and/or nationality. If this is not possible, you may use other methods. Your CIP should address this from a risk-based perspecitve.

Return to Top
#358865 - 05/12/05 07:20 PM Re: CIP and new loan customers
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

The regulatory agencies have an expectation that you do obtain a form of government issued, non-expired photo ID showing residence and/or nationality.

I disagree with this. CIP only requires that you verify enough information about your customer to form a reasonable belief that you know the true identity of the customer (which yorockie stated). CIP allows either or both documentary (ID) or non-documentary verification. No where have I read or seen implied that a bank is expected to get an ID. I know of numerous banks that, for loan customers, use a credit report, financial statement, etc. to verify their loan customers. No ID is ever taken and I haven't seen any criticism of this.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z