Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#360463 - 05/17/05 08:49 PM Appraisals & Builder LOC
Suzie Offline
Platinum Poster
Suzie
Far North
We have a home builder with a $2mm LOC & I need help undestanding appraisal requirements in this situation.

If an individual loan under the LOC is is less than $250,000 will an evaluation rather than an appraisal suffice? What is needed, an appraisal or an evaluation if the aggregate amount outstanding is greater than 250,000 but no single loan to the builder is more than 250,000?

I have read Part 34 but am still at a loss.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#360464 - 05/17/05 11:15 PM Re: Appraisals & Builder LOC
Suzie Offline
Platinum Poster
Suzie
Far North
bump, bump --

Return to Top
#360465 - 10/23/05 01:09 AM Re: Appraisals & Builder LOC
Frodo2 Offline
100 Club
Missouri
It looks to me like according to a previous Advisory Opinion by the FDIC that it would depend on whether there were separate notes involved with each purchase under the LOC. If not then the "tranaction value" would be the limit under the line and appraisals would be required. This is an old FDIC opinion however (2-15-91)so I'm not sure if it's still valid and I may not be interpreting it correctly but that's what it seems to me to be indicating the FDIC's stance is on the issue. Here is the opinion so you can judge for yourself:

"Whether Property Held in a Land Trust and Assigned as Collateral for Credit Line Which is Subsequently Increased Requires an Appraisal Under 12 C.F.R. §323.
FDIC-91-8
February 15, 1991
Walter P. Doyle, Counsel

Thank you for your February 1 letter describing a line of credit by your bank that is to be increased from $200,000 to $275,000 and is used to finance purchases of realty at tax sales for amounts normally ranging from $4000 to $20,000. The various properties so purchased are held in a land trust that is assigned to the bank as collateral for the credit.
Per our January 28 telephone conversation as summarized in the third paragraph of your letter, I believe the way this transaction is presently structured would require appraisals of the properties in the land trust if the line of credit is increased since the exception in §323.3(a)(4) of our regulation would not then apply and the "transaction value" on these facts would be the limit established under the line of credit (see §323.2(k)(1)).
On the other hand, if each takedown of $50,000 or less under the credit were represented by a separate note to finance the purchase of a specific piece of realty of comparable value, then in our opinion no appraisal would be required to support the addition of such realty as collateral under the land trust to the line of credit, since the "transaction value" of the individual loan would be within the de minimis exception in §323.3(a)(1) of the FDIC appraisal regulation. However, prudent banking and supervisory standards would still require such loans and other real estate-related transactions to be supported by adequately prepared estimations of collateral value.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance."

"A nickel isn't worth a dime today."- Yogi Berra

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z