Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#36063 - 10/07/02 02:20 PM ID for online new accounts
Anonymous
Unregistered

We're looking into offering new deposit applications online but are struggling with how to ID these customers without making them come into the bank. The Patriot Act makes this issue more confusing. Any suggestions?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#36064 - 10/07/02 02:31 PM Re: ID for online new accounts
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You would need a less reliable method of verification, Notary, call back, credit check, etc. We have been doing new accounts on the Web for years. Volume isn't supporting the methodologies or efforts now required and we are considering stopping this.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#36065 - 10/07/02 07:40 PM Re: ID for online new accounts
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
You could also look into an automated verification and validation solution that will do nondocumentary verification.

Return to Top
#36066 - 10/07/02 07:54 PM Re: ID for online new accounts
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wish my bank would think like this. Now they want to add applications to the web page. I'm attending a seminar on the 17th concerning this.

Return to Top
#36067 - 10/08/02 07:39 PM Re: ID for online new accounts
SusyG Offline
100 Club
What kind of seminar are you attending?

Return to Top
#36068 - 10/08/02 11:32 PM Re: ID for online new accounts
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT Offline
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
Andy, so how are you verifying ID now? Will you have to change procedures when USPA is fully implemented? Online applications seem like a good way, from a terrorist point of view, to open an account and avoid complete verification. Bank's that allow online applications to open accounts will be targets - even if someone faxes a copy of their ID, how would you know it's that person?

The world has changed!

Return to Top
#36069 - 10/09/02 01:41 AM Re: ID for online new accounts
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The applications we process now are overwhelmingly military soldiers. We are extremely aware of the documents and processes. While a terrorist may decide to bank in this manner, hiding in the US Army might be tough. Otherwise, we generally want any non-established customer to visit the bank to complete the process. Because of CRA and ridiculous applications we restricted applications to those with established accounts or coming to our area (the military). The difference is now that the requirements and penalties are higher.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z