Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#360977 - 05/18/05 08:28 PM Where were you when the mountain blew?
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
As this is the 25th anniversary of the St. Helens eruption, I was reminiscing on the past.

I was a freshman at Central and shortly after lunch it started "snowing" ash. It eventually got to almost a white-out around town. We all hung wet sheets over our doors and windows to keep out the ash. They ended up closing school for the year without finals (which probably saved me). Several of us stayed a few days until the town pretty much ran out of beer.

Return to Top
#360978 - 05/19/05 04:21 PM Re: Where were you when the mountain blew?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was only 2 at the time, so I don't remember it at all!

Return to Top
#360979 - 05/19/05 05:52 PM Re: Where were you when the mountain blew?
starfish Offline
Gold Star
starfish
Seattle
I was ten years old...with my parents on our way back from the San Juan Islands. Because we were travelling in our boat at the time of the eruption, we didn't feel it and didn't even know it happened until we arrived at home.

Return to Top
#360980 - 06/08/05 10:05 PM Re: Where were you when the mountain blew?
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
I was 10 months old. I don't remember it, but I do remember when I was little there was a crack in the ceiling at my Grandma's house, and when I asked her what it was from she said that she was holding me on the couch and Mt. St. Helens blew and the ceiling cracked.

Return to Top
#360981 - 09/16/05 09:07 PM Re: Where were you when the mountain blew?
CHOIRBOY Offline
Stumptown, Oregon, U.S.A.
I was at WWU in Bellingham in my "Senior Year # 1". That morning *(a Sunday, I believe), I was on my way to softball practice when I could hear what sounded like distant thunder. As it turns out,it was the mountain churning out tons of ash and rock. In fact, there was even lightning going on just over the crater of the mountain. My future wife (unbeknownst to me at the time) was a high school senior in Vancouver,WA and could see it erupting from her house. The next few days / weeks, the entire state (heck, the globe!) experienced a steady sprinkling of ash.

Return to Top