Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#362136 - 05/20/05 05:07 PM W8 Requirements/CIP Question
dare2dream Offline
100 Club
dare2dream
California
OK - This is still a gray area to me, how does the W8 form work and does it meet the requirement for CIP for a TIN? If so, how do I doument this appropriately?
Thanks!
Lynda

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#362137 - 05/20/05 07:31 PM Re: W8 Requirements/CIP Question
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
Lynda,
CIP requires that you obtain an identifying number for the customer. Usually this is the SS# or TIN but for those customers who are not US persons and who do not have a SS# you need some other number, such as passport number. I think it is also a good idea in these cases to have the customer sign a W8, even if the account does not pay interest, so that all customers either sign a W9 (or substitute) or W8.

Return to Top
#362138 - 05/23/05 12:04 PM Re: W8 Requirements/CIP Question
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
The W8 would not meet the requirement by itself.
As DevsFans stated, we have it signed regardless of the type of account that is opened, but if it is a Non US Person, I think your CIP requirement is met with the passport being given and documented as the ID.
As always, ensure that your CIP program/policy reflects all these parameters or you will be cited for not following your own policy.
Hope this helps you.

Return to Top
#362139 - 05/24/05 03:52 PM Re: W8 Requirements/CIP Question
dare2dream Offline
100 Club
dare2dream
California
OK - so, just to clarify, IF we obtain the Passport number and do a W8, and that's what my program states, I'm covered regarding the regulation. Is that correct?

THANKS!

Return to Top
#362140 - 05/24/05 04:02 PM Re: W8 Requirements/CIP Question
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
CIP requires you get a name, number (passport will do), address and DOB.

If the account is interest bearing, the Internal Revenue Code requires you to get a W-9 or its equivalent from a U.S. Person or a W8-BEN or its equivalent from a non U.S. person.

The W8-BEN is not connected to CIP. It fulfills separate, unrelated requirements of the IRC.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z