Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#364569 - 05/26/05 09:26 PM POLL Senior Poltical Officials
Ucan'tdothat Offline
Ucan'tdothat
Miami
How many of you ban PEPs from opening accounts at your bank?
Do you ban PEPs at your bank
single choice

Votes accepted starting: 05/26/05 09:26 PM
View Results

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#364570 - 05/27/05 03:59 PM Re: POLL Senior Poltical Officials
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do not see how to ban all PEPs from a bank.

Someone shows up at the bank to open an account with $500,000.

Besides asking them and relying on the thruthfulness of their response, how do I know whether the person was ever the Deputy Energy Minister for Bangladesh from 1981-1983?

There are no lists with all of those kinds of folks on it (that I have ever seen or even heard about).

Return to Top
#364571 - 05/27/05 05:52 PM Re: POLL Senior Poltical Officials
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
There is a list. I've seen it but can't remember where. It lists each country and the people considered PEP's. Even the Queen of England is considered a PEP as well as the heads of state of almost every country, so being a PEP is not a negative unless you are Hussein or Milosivic.

Return to Top
#364572 - 05/27/05 09:29 PM Re: POLL Senior Poltical Officials
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The CIA publishes a Chiefs of State list that is kept updated. Some CIP services utilize this and also add friends and relatives gathered from various sources.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#364573 - 05/27/05 09:48 PM Re: POLL Senior Poltical Officials
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Do you really ban them? Or do you do enhanced due diligence when you set up the account? I know we do not have a policy for banning PEPs. For those of you who do ban PEPs, why do you ban them? I am just curious, maybe there is something I am not thinking of.

Return to Top
#364574 - 05/31/05 05:58 PM Re: POLL Senior Poltical Officials
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are several vendors out there maintaining databases of PEPs. We just bought one.

As far as not opening accounts for PEPs, you would just put a policy in place that doesn't allow them to maintain accounts with you.

Return to Top
#364575 - 05/31/05 08:22 PM Re: POLL Senior Poltical Officials
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
There is no rule prohibiting the bank from opening an accoung for a PEP. You just need to have the ability to identify one when opening an account and then have enhanced due dilligence to monitor the activity.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z