Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#365956 - 05/31/05 08:49 PM Square One Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I was being groomed to be the CRA Officer at a bank, what advice would you give to me? I am looking for hints, tips, "ducks" that I would want in my row. What documentation from previous administrations should I lean on?
Thanks in advance

Return to Top
CRA
#365957 - 05/31/05 08:54 PM Re: Square One Advice
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Read the last three exams for your financial institution, and pull the last exam for the three named peer banks in the exams (or find out who your peers are and pull them). You will learn about the stregnths and weaknesses of your bank, and the challenges facing you by reading this.

Why is the current CRA officer leaving? That's a biggie. IF its a lack of support...I'd line my ducks up pointing at the door

I believe in keeping all documentation until you know the job. I didn't throw everything out until just recently (after almost five years) but the majority of it went between year two and three when I figured out that my predecessor had hmmmm WEAKNESSES

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#365958 - 05/31/05 08:57 PM Re: Square One Advice
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I sneezed and signed myself off LOL

Try to attend some training. PCI and Fannie Mae are doing the CRA collequim in Texas this year. If that's in the budget GO! It's a great forum for networking and training. And...if you can be patient, pop me out an email (not a PM I'm full) and I'll include your name on a list of "things" another new CRA officer asked for as the "must haves". I probably won't be done in the next day or two (busy schedule) but by Wednesday I could have it out with your name on it as well

Return to Top
#365959 - 05/31/05 09:00 PM Re: Square One Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks. That was the path I was going down. Actually, our bank is growing by leaps and bounds and I was brought on to learn banking and grow into this role, among others. I have a pretty good idea of the broad strokes of where we are, our strengths and potential weaknesses. I am more concerned about who are the best people to coordinate with within the bank.

Return to Top
#365960 - 06/01/05 01:56 AM Re: Square One Advice
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
I suggest you coordinate with the Chief Financial Officer with respect to qualifying "small business" loans because the CFO will file the Call Report for which all loan records must be coded. This means what the CFO identifies as "small business" you should and vice versa. So you should have a means of comparing how you are classifying loans for reporting purposes. When there are discrepancies, confer with the CFO and determine who's right. Don't get caught classifying a loan differently because that is a no-win situation.
Dawn's advice about reviewing previous exams is good too. Also, I would suggest you get familiar with "performance context" data because they form the benchmarks against which examiners will compare and develop your performance rating and they should help you form a concept about performance goals. Finally, talk with the SLO and the Compliance Officer.

Return to Top
#365961 - 06/02/05 01:07 AM Re: Square One Advice
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
One other suggestion Call your lead CRA examiner and have a friendly chat about their views of the bank's stregnths and weaknesses. Establishing a positive contact is vital, and will benefit you in the future. I have a very open communication with my examiner who is actually not even a horrible guy

I highly recommend this during my training So you'll hear it again, but it's really valuable to know. I often say that bank examiners are like pit bulls. People go into the relationship expecting to have their legs chewed off, but if you'd just approach the "animal" with some kindness and perhaps a little treat (they like chocolates) you'll find they're pretty tame Some even make good pets (some have to be shot, but let's not discuss those at this point...they're few and far between)

Return to Top
#365962 - 06/02/05 01:08 AM Re: Square One Advice
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Oh and by the way "I'M KIDDING MATT!!!!!"

Oh wait, he's not due again for three years....heh heh

KIDDING!!! (see how they strike fear) LOL

Return to Top
#365963 - 06/02/05 01:05 PM Re: Square One Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
Thanks a bunch Dawnie and Len S!

Return to Top