Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#370943 - 06/08/05 06:12 PM CIP question on Account Signer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did a search on CIP, and couldn't find what I was looking for.

We have an account for a Homeowners Association. We have identified the HOA, but what about the signers on the account, are we required to do CIP on the signers or just OFAC?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#370944 - 06/08/05 11:07 PM Re: CIP question on Account Signer
I. Wannano Offline
Oregon
I believe you do. Per the reg 103.121(C)(3)(i) Customer means: (B) An individual who opens a new account for (2)An entity that is not a legal person, such as a civic club.

KSinSeattle

Return to Top
#370945 - 06/09/05 09:13 AM Re: CIP question on Account Signer
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
A homeowners' association is generally a legal entity and, therefore, the "customer" for CIP purposes. The individuals involved should be able to answer the questions regarding their organization. Your written CIP adopted by your board of directors should indicate whether you perform CIP on mere signatories. Prior thread.

Return to Top
#370946 - 06/09/05 03:36 PM Re: CIP question on Account Signer
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK - for clarification - CIP (tax id, physical address, etc. etc.) for the HOA, but the signers are not required by law to give us the same information on themselves personsally?

The reason it's coming up - is that I have a couple of signers that do not want to give us their personal information, for whatever reason - I already have issues with "why not". That aside, is it law, that I have that personal information (tax id, physical address, dob)?

Return to Top
#370947 - 06/09/05 03:37 PM Re: CIP question on Account Signer
Anonymous
Unregistered

by the way - the signers ARE NOT owners, they are simply signers on the HOA account.

Return to Top
#370948 - 06/09/05 03:48 PM Re: CIP question on Account Signer
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Anon #376261,
If the HOA is an entity, BSA/CIP regulations do not require you to obtain identifying information on a mere signatory. However, if the CIP adopted by your board does require you to ID signatories, then that is "the law" in your bank; i.e. you cannot waive the requirement just because they don't want to give you the info.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z