Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#372725 - 06/14/05 04:41 PM NBFI/MSB Agreement
dare2dream Offline
100 Club
dare2dream
California
does anyone have their NBFI/MSB customers sign an "agreement" - ie you wont do this, you will do this, you agree to supply us this... you agree to blah blah blah, and have them sign it?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#372726 - 06/16/05 04:05 PM Re: NBFI/MSB Agreement
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK - does anyone not have their custoemrs sign an agreement? I thought there would be some response to this - even if it's "why are you doing that" HELLLLLP

Return to Top
#372727 - 06/16/05 04:40 PM Re: NBFI/MSB Agreement
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
A reasonable interpretation of the silence would be a "No." I'm not certain what the objective of such an agreement would be. A contractual commitment to you would not enhance your customer's responsibility to comply with the law regarding registration, licensure, operating an effective BSA program, etc. It would also not reduce your responsibility for monitoring their activities.

At most, it might imply that they understood their responsibilities, but only as your bank explained them. Personally, I would rather have a record in the file where I mailed them some FinCEN publications where FinCEN explained their responsibilities.

Return to Top
#372728 - 06/16/05 07:15 PM Re: NBFI/MSB Agreement
GregS Offline
100 Club
Sunny Florida
A discussion in our bank, begun by a senior manager, regarding pushing off the liability of MSB monitoring with an "agreement" also lasted about the length of this thread.

Filling filing cabinets was about the only thing it would accomplish.

We wound up with a checklist of our monitoirng responsibilities which is to be completed each year. It is built on the latest monitoring "guidance" points.

Return to Top
#372729 - 06/17/05 01:58 PM Re: NBFI/MSB Agreement
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I do have them sign a document that lists all the documentary requirements as well as account activity expectations. It does not relieve me of any responsibility in the monitoring function but I beleive that it gives the MSB an understanding of how seriously we take the regulations.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z