#376954 - 06/23/05 11:22 PM Big Bank fails exam
Anonymous
Unregistered

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#376955 - 06/23/05 11:24 PM Re: Big Bank fails exam
Anonymous
Unregistered

I heard they have created a separate BSA/AML compliance testing section of their audit department.

Return to Top
#376956 - 06/24/05 05:46 AM Re: Big Bank fails exam
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
You best believe every smaller national bank that has been hit with a Cease and Desist is seeing way more than red over this bit of news!!!!

Return to Top
#376957 - 06/24/05 11:02 AM Re: Big Bank fails exam
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
You said it Bonnie!
C&D's are okay for a small bank, but with the big one, we will call it "informal" ???

Return to Top
#376958 - 06/25/05 06:10 PM Re: Big Bank fails exam
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is unbelievable! Why are they getting away with this?

Return to Top
#376959 - 06/25/05 10:30 PM Re: Big Bank fails exam
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

Because they can....

Return to Top
#376960 - 06/27/05 05:07 PM Re: Big Bank fails exam
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

I know it looks like Wells is 'getting off lightly', and that's irritating.

The thing that should be really alarming, though, is that they got the reprimand (or whatever you want to call it) while in the midst of implementing enhanced AML systems and processes. So, there was no allowance/partial credit for already working on the issue.

Feel free to be as aggravated as you want for your own reasons. I plan to be aggravated for a different set of reasons.

Return to Top
#376961 - 06/28/05 05:39 PM Re: Big Bank fails exam
Anonymous
Unregistered

Explains recent calls from headhunter looking for AML Audit Manager for Wells.

Return to Top
#376962 - 06/28/05 06:39 PM Re: Big Bank fails exam
Dragon Slayer Offline
Dragon Slayer
In my opinion Wells recieved credit for their work on the AML problems by NOT being place on a C&D. It seems that an "informal" was very kind to them and seems unfair to community banks. The headhunters have been very active lately.

Return to Top
#376963 - 06/29/05 12:24 AM Re: Big Bank fails exam
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

In my opinion Wells recieved credit for their work on the AML problems by NOT being place on a C&D. It seems that an "informal" was very kind to them and seems unfair to community banks. The headhunters have been very active lately.

Wells received credit, but smaller banks DO NOT receive credit for improvements made or that are being made. If your program has any deficiency, you WILL get a Cease and Desist. At least that's how it is (supposed) to be for National Banks per the OCC's Bulletin #2004-50:

http://www.occ.treas.gov/ftp/bulletin/2004-50.doc

"Unlike other examination areas, a statutory mandate exists that instructs the OCC to issue a cease-and-desist order (C&D) whenever a bank fails to establish and maintain a BSA compliance program, as required by 12 CFR 21.21. This mandate also applies when a bank fails to correct any problem with its BSA compliance program, which was previously cited in a report of examination (ROE) or other supervisory correspondence. Examples in which a violation citation and accompanying C&D are appropriate include situations in which a bank:

• Lacks a BSA compliance program that adequately covers all of the required program elements (internal controls, independent testing, responsible personnel, and training);
• Fails to implement a written BSA compliance program;
• Exhibits BSA compliance program deficiencies coupled with aggravating factors such as highly suspicious activity creating a significant potential for money laundering, potential terrorist financing, a pattern of structuring to evade reporting requirements, insider complicity, repeat failures to file currency transaction reports or suspicious activity reports, or other substantial BSA violations;
• Fails to respond to supervisory warnings concerning BSA compliance program deficiencies previously reported to the bank, or continues a history of program deficiencies, even when deficiencies are dissimilar to those cited in the past;
• Engages in systemic or pervasive BSA reporting or record keeping violations, fails to respond to supervisory warnings regarding such violations, or continues a history of such violations, even when they are dissimilar to those cited in the past; or
• Engages in a one-time, nontechnical violation that demonstrates willful or reckless disregard for the requirements of the BSA or that creates a substantial risk of money laundering or the financing of terrorism. The violation renders deficient an otherwise effective program.

So, if you had a warning about a problem in the past, but fixed that problem, but then had another problem, you get (according to this bulletin) a C&D.

But we all know there are dual standards out there, or if we didn't know that before, we know that now!

Return to Top
#376964 - 06/29/05 01:08 PM Re: Big Bank fails exam
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Bonnie, That's called PAC, and I'm sure WF has a pretty active and well-funded one!

Return to Top
#376965 - 06/29/05 03:33 PM Re: Big Bank fails exam
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thats called PAC? I don't get it...course it is humpday, so I am on the downward spiral

Return to Top
#376966 - 06/29/05 03:52 PM Re: Big Bank fails exam
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Political Action Committees - they likely have their own lobbyists, or contribute heavily to campaign funds of 'friendly' political candidates!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z