Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#378158 - 06/28/05 02:18 PM Customer unwilling to give SSN
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just wanted to make sure I was correct - We have an Attorney account (sometimes they are the most difficult to deal with), actually it is a qualified intermediary account. Right now there is no SSN on the attorney, who is the only owner/signer of the account. We have requested the SSN of the attorney and he is unwilling to give it and says that it is not really his account, it is his clients, of which we do have the SSN. He said that if our auditors had a problem with it, they could call him directly. Am I not correct in saying that since he is the owner/signer of the account, then he is the one required to give his SSN?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#378159 - 06/28/05 02:25 PM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
Coming to Grips Offline
100 Club
nebraska
I don't know what a qualified intermediary account is, but it sounds as if the attorney is holding the funds on behalf of another party? If so, then the other party is most likely your customer, because the funds actually belong to them. However, you could make a case that since the attorney has control and authority over the account that you also need his SSN or TIN for the law firm. I would look to your CIP first (everyone knows that by now, right?). Otherwise, I would CIP the party that has supplied the funds.

Return to Top
#378160 - 06/28/05 03:31 PM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess I might be a little confused about this.....I am under the impression that the attorney is our customer.....he is the one who opened the account, which falls under the definition of the final rule.

Return to Top
#378161 - 06/28/05 05:01 PM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I agree- the beneficiaries of the account are not your customers by the CIP definition of 'customer', but the attorney is, as he is the person who is opening and controlling the account and the beneficiaries have taken no part in that decision.

Below are links to similar threads relating to escrow accounts and iolta accounts:
Click me
Me too

Return to Top
#378162 - 06/28/05 08:14 PM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
Is there a law in your state concerning attorney accounts? Kentucky has one, and all client accounts are set up with a state tax ID number.

Return to Top
#378163 - 06/28/05 10:02 PM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
Anonymous
Unregistered

if an account doen't comply with the CIP big 4 within 60 days of opening we close it

done deal

Return to Top
#378164 - 06/29/05 06:00 PM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
Coming to Grips Offline
100 Club
nebraska
I don't agree or disagree. I'm simply saying that based on the informaiton in the post, I can't tell whether the attorney is the account owner or simply an agent acting on behalf of another party. If the attorney is simply an agent, then the other party is the account owner and subject to CIP. The money is coming from somewhere. It's mostly likely not the attorney's money.

Return to Top
#378165 - 06/29/05 06:12 PM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
Runin' Reb Offline
100 Club
Runin' Reb
West Coast
Same argument: Can tell if its his own account, on behalf of someone else, IOLTA Account, etc. etc...

Based on Anon's original post I'd say "no social, no account".

We've had this come up several times, and several times we've close the account. Thank you very much, have a nice day, good luck getting around this with your new bank.

Return to Top
#378166 - 06/29/05 10:32 PM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Our policy states that you CIP everyone associated with the account - it makes life easy.
No need to wonder who is the true owner or beneficiary of the monies!

Return to Top
#378167 - 06/29/05 10:44 PM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Are you sure this is not an Attorney Trust Account?

an Attorney Trust Account is a special bank account, usually a checking account, into which must be placed all funds which are entrusted to the attorney's care while the attorney is acting in a legal representative capacity on behalf of a client.

An attorney trust account should not be used for funds which an attorney receives while acting in any special fiduciary capacity, such as executor, guardian, receiver or trustee; these funds are to be placed into separate fiduciary accounts.

ATA's must be maintained in a financial institution A financial institution is defined as being a national or state chartered bank; a savings bank; savings and loan association; or a credit union.

The account must include the prominent designation, "Attorney Trust Account", and the checks and deposit slips for the account must be imprinted with that title.

Withdrawals from an attorney trust account must be made to named payees, and not to cash.

An attorney may deposit a minimal amount of personal funds into the attorney trust account to pay service charges and other fees incurred in connection with the account.

Attorney trust accounts may be interest-bearing, but the attorney may never be the recipient of interest earned on the portion of funds belonging to clients or other persons being held in the trust account. All interest or other income earned on an attorney trust account belongs to the clients or persons whose money generated the interest, or to the "IOLTA Fund".

Each Sate is different so check to see how these accounts are handled in your state.

Return to Top
#378168 - 06/29/05 11:10 PM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You could also place a call to your State Bar Association and explain the issue and see if they can intervene for you. The attorney might be playing fast and loose with some client's money.

Return to Top
#378169 - 06/30/05 11:54 AM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
Attorneys love to give banks a hard time. Simply send a letter stating that in order to comply with your bank's Customer Identification Procedure, a SSN or EIN is required. Give him 10 days to provide the number. If you don't receive it, close the account. He will undoubtedly be asked for this information when he tries to open an account at the next bank. Stick to your guns!

Return to Top
#378170 - 07/08/05 11:37 AM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:

it is a qualified intermediary account

If that's correct, this is not an IOLTA or client trust fund account. It's an account used to facilitate a IRC Section 1031 exchange and has nothing to do with the attorney client relationship; any third party can serve as a qualified intermediary.

Your instincts and JacFSB sent you in the right direction; the attorney is acting as an escrow agent and is the "customer" for CIP purposes. Regardless of the specifics of your bank's CIP, you must obtain his name, address, DOB and identifying number.

P.S. That thing about having the auditors call him directly if they have any problem with it started my day with a chuckle. It might be more helpful to them if they called someone willing to learn a little rather than someone who assumes he knows it all.

Return to Top
#378171 - 08/23/05 05:07 PM Re: Customer unwilling to give SSN
Loving Life Offline
100 Club
Loving Life
Florida
Anyone have a good resource that I can learn more about Qualified Intermediaries?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z