BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#378875 - 06/29/05 05:35 PM POS transaction question
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
Hello to everyone,

It has been a long time since I have been in the Reg E arena so I need some assistance. I have a debit card POS transaction that has been declined by our server for the following reason:

The following transaction does not quality for an "Unauthorized" chargeback. This is because a merchant attempted to authenticate the cardholder on an online transaction. Currently your institution is not a participant in the "Verified by Visa" authentication program.

Because of this I am unaware if the transactions are to be the bank liability or the customers.

Thanks in advance.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#378876 - 06/29/05 05:40 PM Re: POS transaction question
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
That will be the bank's liability. You can not hold the customer responsible for an unauthorized transaction.

This is Visa's way of forcing banks to join/pay for the program to ensure that they have charge-back rights.

Return to Top
#378877 - 06/29/05 05:42 PM Re: POS transaction question
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
If your institution doesn't participate in Verifed by Visa and your cardholder does a transaction at a merchant who does and then later disputes that transaction, your institution will be held liable. The customer still has Zero Liability (per Visa Regulations) for unauthorized transactions so the bank will have to eat this one. Your best bet? Get set up in Verified by Visa.

Return to Top
#378878 - 06/29/05 06:47 PM Re: POS transaction question
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
I want to thank you both for your help.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z