Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#379221 - 06/30/05 02:07 PM BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there any news about whether or not we will see the long promised examination procedures?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#379222 - 06/30/05 03:12 PM Re: BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet? *DELETED*
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Post deleted by David Dickinson

Return to Top
#379223 - 06/30/05 03:24 PM Re: BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet?
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
What timing: I just received an email from the FRB announcing the release of the BSA Exam Procedures. Here is a link to the BSA/AML Exam Manual.

Return to Top
#379224 - 06/30/05 04:08 PM Re: BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet?
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
FDIC's email just came into my box as well. I'm definitely hoping to attend one of the training/outreach sessions.

Return to Top
#379225 - 06/30/05 04:09 PM Re: BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Press Release

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joint Release Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
National Credit Union Administration
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Office of Thrift Supervision
Financial Crimes Enforcement Network

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agencies Release Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering Examination Manual

For Immediate Release
FDIC-PR-60-2005 June 30, 2005

The Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) today released the Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering Examination Manual (FFIEC BSA/AML Examination Manual). The manual's release marks an important step forward in the effort to ensure the consistent application of the BSA to all banking organizations including commercial banks, savings associations, and credit unions.

The FFIEC BSA/AML Examination Manual was developed by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (Board), Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), and Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS) (collectively referred to as the federal banking agencies) in collaboration with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), the delegated administrator of the BSA. In addition, through the Conference of State Bank Supervisors, the state banking agencies played a consultative role. The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) collaborated on the development of core overview and examination procedures addressing compliance with regulations enforced by OFAC.

The FFIEC BSA/AML Examination Manual emphasizes a banking organization's responsibility to establish and implement risk-based policies, procedures, and processes to comply with the BSA and safeguard its operations from money laundering and terrorist financing. The BSA/AML examination procedures will guide examiners through an evaluation of a banking organization's BSA/AML compliance program regardless of its size or business lines. The majority of the FFIEC BSA/AML Examination Manual provides narrative guidance and resource materials rather than specific examination procedures. This includes an overview of the BSA requirements and the federal banking agencies' supervisory expectations in this area.

The Board, FDIC, OCC, OTS, and FinCEN have planned a series of events to brief the banking industry and field examiners on the FFIEC BSA/AML Examination Manual. These events include nationwide conference calls, regional outreach meetings, and a simulcast via the Internet. Banking organizations are encouraged to participate in these voluntary sessions. (More information on these events is attached in a fact sheet.)

Registration details for the industry calls, regional outreach meetings, and the simulcast will be communicated shortly to the banking industry via separate notice.

Attachments: FFIEC BSA/AML Examination Manual Introduction – Overview – PDF 621k (PDF Help)
FFIEC BSA/AML Examination Manual Examination Procedures – PDF 451k (PDF Help)
FFIEC BSA/AML Examination Manual Appendixes – PDF 216k (PDF Help)
Outreach Fact Sheet
Questions & Answers

# # #

Media Contacts
FDIC Frank Gresock (202) 898-6634
Federal Reserve Andrew Williams (202) 452-2955
OCC Kevin Mukri (202) 874-5770
OTS Erin Hickman (202) 906-6677
NCUA Cherie Umbel (703) 518-6330
FinCEN Sheri James (703) 905-3770

Return to Top
#379226 - 06/30/05 04:43 PM Re: BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet?
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
Only 330 pages; nice light reading for the upcoming holiday weekend.

Return to Top
#379227 - 06/30/05 05:07 PM Re: BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet?
ldsnanny3 Offline
100 Club
ldsnanny3
Georgia
Has anyone tried to download the new exam procedures? I have tried it a couple of times and it's just soooooo slow. Anyone else having this problem?

Return to Top
#379228 - 06/30/05 05:12 PM Re: BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet?
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Yes, they were very slow to open. I believe lots of people are trying to access the cite at the same time. Mine took over 5 minutes to open.

Return to Top
#379229 - 06/30/05 05:34 PM Re: BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet?
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
David, you're computer was faster than mine!!!

Return to Top
#379230 - 06/30/05 06:10 PM Re: BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet?
VMack Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Did anyone else have a problem opening the overview PDF document? I receive an error message that the file has been corrupted and cannot be opened. I am right smack dab in the middle of a BSA exam...so I am happy that I will have some time to digest this mess before I am examined with the new procedures.

“The wise know their limitations; the foolish do not.”
Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Return to Top
#379231 - 06/30/05 06:37 PM Re: BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet?
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
330 pages total, better sprinkle a little sugar on it.

Return to Top
#379232 - 06/30/05 07:20 PM Re: BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet?
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
BankersOnline has downloaded a copy of the documents and placed it on our servers. You may want to check it out and get your copy from us if you're having problems with downloading from the regulator's sites. They may be understandably taxed today!
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#379233 - 06/30/05 07:39 PM Re: BSA/AML examination procedures - out yet?
VMack Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Thank you John, that's great. However, I clicked on the the introduction - overview from BOL and received an error message that states;

The page you requested is not available

Maybe I don't need to read the overview anyway!

“The wise know their limitations; the foolish do not.”
Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z