Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#379272 - 06/30/05 02:48 PM Photo copying a drivers license
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to find out if making a photo copy of a drivers license in the State of New Jersey is illegal.

Any help on this subject would be of great help. Thanks

Return to Top
#379273 - 06/30/05 02:58 PM Re: Photo copying a drivers license
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
New Jersey has a State specific forum here at BOL. You would likely have more success if you posted it there.

Not to be rude, but if you would post it there, it would save time for those of us that have no idea about New Jersey laws - rather than posting it in the General forum where everyone reviews the posts. Thanks for your understanding.

Return to Top
#379274 - 06/30/05 03:07 PM Re: Photo copying a drivers license
Anonymous
Unregistered

ouch

Return to Top
#379275 - 06/30/05 03:31 PM Re: Photo copying a drivers license
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

ouch

I hesitated on posting my above response for this reason. Why did that hurt (ouch)?

The fact is that many, like myself, spend hours each day trying to help others with their questions. My time is not free, but I try to donate as much time as possible to BOL - for free.

Generic subject lines have always been a problem that we have discussed several times. This topics subject line sounded like something I could help with, but when I clicked on the post, I found out it was a state specific question for which I can't provide any guidance. Therefore, I wasted time reading the post and I'm sure that many others will do the same.

Trying to make BOL more efficient, BOL officials have provided state specific forums, provided a FAQ that all are instructed to read and follow (although it appears that many do not), and many posts are made about trying to put topics in the correct forums and using specific subject lines.

Is it wrong for me to point this out?

Return to Top
#379276 - 06/30/05 04:19 PM Re: Photo copying a drivers license
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seems to me the entire purpose of these forums is for people to try and find help, not be scholded and talked down to. I may be wrong, too.

Return to Top
#379277 - 06/30/05 04:22 PM Re: Photo copying a DL in NJ
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
At this time, it is not illegal to photocopy drivers' licenses.

Return to Top
#379278 - 06/30/05 05:28 PM Re: Photo copying a drivers license
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Seems to me the entire purpose of these forums is for people to try and find help, not be scholded and talked down to. I may be wrong, too.

Ouch! I'm going to try to approach this one more time, but it appears that I'm doing this in vain. I'm not scolding anyone or talking down to anyone. I'm trying to help BOL be more efficient. To know if I was scolding, you would have to hear my tone of voice, facial expressions. I could be calmly pointing out these instructions. So why do you judge my non-verbal communication?

Sometime people will post the same question in 2 forums. You will see Andy, John or others post "do not post in 2 forums as this requires regular readers to open the same question twice" or something similar. Are they scolding the poster? I don't think so. They (and I) are trying to provide polite guidance for the betterment of everyone.

How else could I have communicated this same thing?

You are right that the purpose is to help people, but that is a 2 way street. If it isn't convenient for the helpers, you won't have any one reply to the questions. Then where would you be?

Once again, I'm just trying to make BOL more efficient for everyone. I'm not trying to be rude, but trying to make a point. That's it from me. I've said what I needed to. Flame away if you feel you need to.

Return to Top
#379279 - 06/30/05 07:44 PM Re: Photo copying a drivers license
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your reponse would not have sounded so harsh if you had just ask the person to check the New Jersey specific forum, that they would have better luck there. Just leave off the second part of your response. Just my opinion.

Return to Top
#379280 - 06/30/05 07:48 PM Re: Photo copying a drivers license
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Alright already, the question was posed and it was answered, now give it a rest, you guys!

Return to Top
#379281 - 07/01/05 01:56 PM Re: Photo copying a DL in NJ
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your help. Hope I didnt waiste your time. IMO, I feel that copies of drivers licenses should not be legal as with so many cases of identity theft out there-its scary. With taking copies of customers info that info could easily get into the wrong hands.

Thanks again!

Return to Top
#379282 - 07/01/05 06:33 PM Re: Photo copying a DL in NJ
Anonymous
Unregistered

How else can a bank verify an applicant's identity?

Return to Top
#379283 - 07/01/05 08:12 PM Re: Photo copying a DL in NJ
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Anon #1 - That's what the Safeguarding Customer Information provisions are for. (OK, well, partially.)

Return to Top
#379284 - 10/01/05 05:07 PM Photocopy of Drivers license from another country
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a license from another country- since i had lost the original but i had a photocopy (colour copy laminated) - i went to the new jersey DMV office to get my NJ drivers license. They retained my photocopy- citing that as illegal. and said that they will send that for federal investigation.

Being new to this country i had no idea that i could not show the photocopy- and my only intent was to show that as a proff- since i was unable to get another original from my country (for that i would have to physically go in person to my country and get another license) .

Now i am worried about the consequences. Even though my photocopy was from a valid- original license from my country. Could somebody pls advise me on the consequences. I'd appreciate it very much.

Return to Top