Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#379673 - 06/30/05 08:59 PM What address should be used?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have made a loan to a gentleman to purchase cattle. The man does not own a farm of his own, but he works for a farmer. He is going to pasture his herd with his boss's cattle. Do we use/report the address where the cattle are going to be located (even though it isn't his property) or do we use/report his home address?

Thanks.

Return to Top
CRA
#379674 - 06/30/05 09:57 PM Re: What address should be used?
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I would use his home address because that is technically his place of business (farming).

Return to Top
#379675 - 07/01/05 03:37 PM Re: What address should be used?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Since he isn't going to have the cattle in his home, the location of the loan proceeds is out at the farm in my opinion.

Return to Top
#379676 - 07/01/05 03:49 PM Re: What address should be used?
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
IMO use the home/business address.The funds were used at the business address to make the purchase of a commodity which is just "stored" at another location. The home address received the benefit of the loan proceeds.

Return to Top
#379677 - 07/01/05 05:47 PM Re: What address should be used?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

IMO use the home/business address.The funds were used at the business address to make the purchase of a commodity which is just "stored" at another location. The home address received the benefit of the loan proceeds.

This is also what I thought, but not how staff reported it which is why I'm asking the question.

So how would you view this scenario?
We have made a loan to a gentleman to purchase a tractor. The man (at the time) did not own the farm land where the tractor was to be used at (it was his parents farm which he has now purchased).

Would you use/report the address of the farm (even though it isn't his property but that is where the tractor will be used) or would you use/report his home address?

Thank you again.

Return to Top
#379678 - 07/01/05 10:23 PM Re: What address should be used?
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Again I would use the home address. Just think of a business located at 123 Main st. The business borrows to buy a paving truck. The paving truck will not pave at the business address but paves at a location in the next town. You would use the business address in this case and not the address of the lot in the next town where the truck is.

The same is true for the cattle and tractor. He can move both of those at any time to a new location. If he owned the farm land and always kept his cattle and tractor there, then I would say use the farm land location.

Return to Top
#379679 - 07/06/05 08:17 PM Re: What address should be used?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Typically you do not use a home address, which might be what you're hung up on here BUT Don and KC have both answered right. The benefit of the proceeds would be the businesses, which happens to be run out of the home of the owner. You see this often in farming and contracting.

As Don mentions, the cattle are just being housed at the other address, they'll move again when they're butchered or milked or whatever he's going to do with them maybe even when they rotate fields, so the address wouldn't be really receiving the benefit of the funds.

Think of it in terms of a car that is used for business purposes. Would you report the BP Garage if the engineer it was purchased for contracted with BP and was planning on parking it there the majority of the time? Or would you be more logical and report the address of the business who owned the vehicle and who purchased it for the engineer, regardless of where it was going to spend the night?

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#379680 - 07/15/05 06:26 PM Re: What address should be used?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you all for your feedback!! It is appreciated!

Return to Top
#379681 - 07/15/05 08:29 PM Re: What address should be used?
Some Days You Just Can't Win Offline
Gold Star
Some Days You Just Can't Win
Mississippi River Valley
Page 13, under loan location, of the CRA guide it states
Institutions should ask their borrowers to provide the street address of the main business facility or farm or the location where the loan proceeds otherwise will be applied.

So since the second scenario loan proceeds are to be used at the farm that the borrower eventually purchases, why wouldn't you use the address of the farm?

Return to Top