Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#382518 - 07/07/05 06:48 PM Pro-rate CRA Cash Donation????
Anonymous
Unregistered

How would you handle?

If a bank contributes/donates a $1000.00 to the Boys and Girls Club Golf Outing and in return receives 4 rounds of golf, lunch, dinner, beverages, etc., what portion of the $1000.00 can we "claim" as a qualified donation? All $1000.00 or a pro-rated portion (i.e. - less the benefit of the rounds of golf, dinner, etc.)?

We have already established the low/mod benefit of the Boys and Girls Club.

The responses I have received are split (One BOLer say one thing and a regulator says another). Help me break the tie.

Thanks.

Return to Top
CRA
#382519 - 07/07/05 06:54 PM Re: Pro-rate CRA Cash Donation????
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I get full credit if the function benefits an entity that is slam dunk CRA (meaning both the donation write off and the golf funds). Technically to be conservative, if I were asked this in class I'd tell someone that while I do get 100% of the funds as CRA, they should expect that if their examiner questions them, they would only get the deductable portion of the funds.

I do a lot of these types of things and have never had an examiner question the full CRA donation for credit, but, I'd go with what your LEAD CRA examiner tells you. Give them a call and see what they have to say. In these fuzzy cases, that's your very best bet.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#382520 - 07/12/05 05:25 PM Re: Pro-rate CRA Cash Donation????
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Boy you must have easy examiners up north. Our examiners look at only the portion for which we didn't receive a benefit.

However, you may find that the golf and/or dinner were underwritten and you can count 100% because all of the donation went to the club.

Return to Top
#382521 - 07/12/05 06:12 PM Re: Pro-rate CRA Cash Donation????
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I always think they're pretty hard on us, since we're normally the training ground for new examiners (which sucks mind you!) But...now that I think of it, most of these events are underwritten by other donors or ourselves, so perhaps they just don't want to wade through all of the paperwork.

I always fully disclose though, just in case they wish to give less credit

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top