Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#382526 - 07/07/05 07:05 PM OFAC Lists
kvmo Offline
New Poster
I have searched and searched and cannot find the answer to this remedial question. I know we are not supposed to maintain copies of the 314a list, but what do we do with the mountains of OFAC lists we have? Please help!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#382527 - 07/07/05 07:18 PM Re: OFAC Lists
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
What do you mean 'mountains of OFAC lists'? Each updated list supercedes the previous one.

Return to Top
#382528 - 07/07/05 07:26 PM Re: OFAC Lists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are you saying we should keep only the most recent list and dispose of previous lists?

Return to Top
#382529 - 07/08/05 10:30 AM Re: OFAC Lists
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
As AML indicates, there is actually a core list to which additions and deletions are made. It is important that you be able to document that the list you use was "current" at the time you used it, but it is not necessary to keep copies of each variation of the list.

Return to Top
#382530 - 07/08/05 12:46 PM Re: OFAC Lists
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Before making a reflexive "No we don't keep the old lists", I started to think that in the course of doing our system backups and archive, we probably wind up keeping an electronic copy of old lists. But no one keeps copies of them on paper.

Referring to Ken's point, what we wind up with is electronically auditable, you can show the version of the list you used for the comparisons recorded at the time.

Return to Top
#382531 - 07/08/05 12:46 PM Re: OFAC Lists
First Banker Offline
Gold Star
First Banker
Florida
I heard or read somewhere that the list itself is to be destroyed once the search has been completed. It was recommended that a log of the serial number and date be maintained as proof that it was received and processed. Am I wrong?

Return to Top
#382532 - 07/08/05 12:47 PM Re: OFAC Lists
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

I heard or read somewhere that the list itself is to be destroyed once the search has been completed. It was recommended that a log of the serial number and date be maintained as proof that it was received and processed. Am I wrong?

I'm pretty certain that refers to the 314a lists, not the OFAC lists.

Return to Top
#382533 - 07/08/05 03:43 PM Re: OFAC Lists
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

Quote:

I'm pretty certain that refers to the 314a lists, not the OFAC lists.

That definately refers to the 314(a) lists. OFAC lists are freely available to anyone who cares to download the file from OFAC's website.

314(a) lists are protected by registration requirements in order to access.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z