Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#383075 - 07/08/05 05:35 PM MSB -- need to verify if a customer is one?
ForceFull1 Offline
Gold Star
ForceFull1
smalltown Iowa
Going thru the inter-agency guidance from April (FIL 32-2005) as well as the new BSA/AML exam manual (which basically just says to refer back to the guidance), I'm not seeing any requirements/guidance on verifying if our customers are MSBs. Am I overlooking it?

If there isn't any guidance, do you feel it's necessary to perform any due diligence beyond verifying that the customer is not listed as an MSB? My impression from the guidance was that the regulators were telling us we didn't need to be the police force verifying that businesses are registering as MSBs if they need to.

Thanks!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#383076 - 07/08/05 05:58 PM Re: MSB -- need to verify if a customer is one?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
To me, your bigger problem are those "MSB"s that aren't registered! We review retail accounts for MSB-like activity. If they cash a 3rd party check one time for $1000, they are an MSB whether they realize it or not...then it's time to take action. So yes, due diligence on account monitoring is very important, and was apparent during our last (recent) BSA exam.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#383077 - 07/08/05 08:19 PM Re: MSB -- need to verify if a customer is one?
ForceFull1 Offline
Gold Star
ForceFull1
smalltown Iowa
My confusion here lies in that there seems to be nothing stated in the guidance or BSA exam manual that says we must be policing our customers to make sure we don't have any unregistered MSBs. What feedback did you get at your BSA exam regarding these, and was your exam after the inter-agency guidance?

Return to Top
#383078 - 07/08/05 08:29 PM Re: MSB -- need to verify if a customer is one?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
No, it was pre-guidance, however they found some accounts that fit the category that we had not found yet and they dunned us for it. We have installed new software since that time and have found many more! They put alot of emphasis on it (FED).

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#383079 - 07/11/05 08:18 PM Re: MSB -- need to verify if a customer is one?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You say you have installed new software. Is it specifically for BSA/AML monitoring?

Return to Top
#383080 - 07/12/05 10:28 AM Re: MSB -- need to verify if a customer is one?
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
If you forget the fact that you are talking MSBs for a moment, - what is expected of you is that you Know Your Customers. "The nature of the business and the source of the funds."
That concept applies to all your customers.
As you determine the nature of the business the relevant monitoring requirements kick in.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z