Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#386069 - 07/14/05 08:46 PM Partnership dba / CTR filings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having a conversation with our compliance officer in the proper manner to complete the following CTR scenario:

John Doe and Mary Smith dba ABC Market(Partnership account with it's own separate EIN).

$15,000 deposit into account conducted by Mary.

How are Part I Section A and Section B completed?

It is my understanding that the Part I Section A should list "ABC Market" (line 2 with corresponding EIN on line 6)only since it's a Partnership with its own EIN. Part I Section B lists Mary Smith as the conductor.

OR

Do need to have multiple Section I Part A's for the Market and then John Doe dba ABC Market and the third Part A listing Mary Smith dba ABC Market, with their own SSN.

OR

Is it Mary Smith dba ABC Market, conducted on its own behalf (Section I Part B), in the first Part I Section A
followed by John Doe dba ABC Market and ABC Market.

Please advise. Thanks.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#386070 - 07/14/05 08:59 PM Re: Partnership dba / CTR filings
BSA4LIFE Offline
Gold Star
California
Who is the EIN assigned to? ABC Market? or Joe Done and Mary Smith, Partnership? The name in Part 1 needs to match the EIN filed or you will get one of those nasty letters returned to you.

Return to Top
#386071 - 07/19/05 06:19 PM Re: Partnership dba / CTR filings
Anonymous
Unregistered

bump

Return to Top
#386072 - 07/19/05 06:57 PM Re: Partnership dba / CTR filings
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
ABC market is the benfactor and mary Smith is the transactor, unless there is something I'm missing.

Return to Top
#386073 - 07/21/05 04:56 PM Re: Partnership dba / CTR filings
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is what I thought; however, my compliance officer is telling me that because it is a deposit into a partnership dba, we need to show ALL individuals that benefit from the transaction.

I thought because the market had it's own EIN, then it would be sufficient to just reflect the Market and NOT the individual partners.

Thanks....

Return to Top
#386074 - 07/21/05 07:37 PM Re: Partnership dba / CTR filings
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
No. The partnership is its own entity for this purpose. This isn't a joint account. It's an account of the partnership. In other words, the partnership is owned by more than one person, but the account is only owned by one "person" -- the partnership.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#386075 - 07/22/05 06:36 PM Re: Partnership dba / CTR filings
Anonymous
Unregistered

John...thanks for the response. However, can you please elaborate on the "No"? Is the No to the compliance officer's position or to my position?

Thanks again for your input.

Return to Top
#386076 - 07/22/05 09:03 PM Re: Partnership dba / CTR filings
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
No to the CO. Sorry for the confusion.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#386077 - 07/22/05 11:57 PM Re: Partnership dba / CTR filings
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
Your CO might want to read the definition of "person" in the CTR instructions. A person includes legal entities and organizations. It is not necessary to also show the owners in Part I, Section A. Thank goodness --- or we would all be crazy!!!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z