Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#387369 - 07/18/05 08:05 PM strange activity noted on account
Anonymous
Unregistered

in doing routine monitoring of transaction- msb, convenience store- i've noticed the customer has on numerous occasions written a check for cash, in the memo section of the check is written atm, and then deposits it into the same account that it is written on. i'm trying to determine why a business would do this. it's not just a one time error- i noticed several instances. when i get more comfortable in my new role i will not post anonymous! thanks

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#387370 - 07/18/05 08:28 PM Re: strange activity noted on account
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I'm going to toss a guess into the ring. First, the business has an on-site ATM. Second, the business is responsible for maintaining the cash supply in the ATM. Since a great deal of the C-store's business is cash, it probably is writing a check to replace cash in the cash register, and putting that cash into the ATM. In that way the deposit can still reflect the day's receipts, and less cash has to be schlepped to the bank.

If the business doesn't have an ATM, this explanation obviously won't fly. That's when you have to pull out your detective cap and spyglass and ask the customer straight out what's going on.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#387371 - 07/18/05 09:11 PM Re: strange activity noted on account
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
If the business has an ATM on site, you should most likely see incoming ACH credits from his ATM sponsoring company relating to the activity in the ATM machine. If the customer has accounts at other banks as well as yours, these transactions might go to one of these other accounts, however.

Return to Top
#387372 - 07/18/05 09:16 PM Re: strange activity noted on account
Anonymous
Unregistered

i sure do appreciate the comments. Thank you!

Return to Top
#387373 - 07/19/05 11:49 AM Re: strange activity noted on account
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Do a site visit, chat with the customer.
An effective way to prevent illegal activity in your bank is to gently let the customer know that you are monitoring the activity.
A site visit where you show interest in the business will accomplish this.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z