Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#393740 - 07/29/05 05:00 PM Should an Internal Auditor be Exempt/Officer?
SBR Offline
New Poster
I currrently hold the non-exempt position of Internal Auditor/Administrative Assistant at a small $66MM bank. I initially started out as a Loan Assistant and then slowly worked my way to this position (17 employees at the bank). I reviewed the Administrative Exemption from FLSA and do perform most of the duties there, i.e. payroll, bank's qtly tax reports, help w/human resources, profit sharing plan, assist CEO & EVP, Online Banking administration, plus am the Internal Auditor at the bank (I'm designated by the BOD as Internal Auditor and regularly report to the BOD on audit issues/planning). Is it unreasonable to ask my employer that this position be exempt/officer based on the job duties I perform? I probably do each job about 1/2 the time. Anybody have any similar experiences? Are there any resources out there to distinguish these particular job duties besides the DOL website?

Return to Top
Audit
#393741 - 07/29/05 06:53 PM Re: Should an Internal Auditor be Exempt/Officer?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Classifying you as exempt from overtime would be a benefit to your employer, not to you, correct? My understanding is that you can classify anyone as non-exempt. The rules come in to play when an employer decides that they want to exempt an employee.

Now, if they are denying you benefits or a higher salary based on that classification, you may have reason to make such a request. However, that decision is going to be based on your value to the organization, not on any DOL regulations.

Just my opinion.

Return to Top
#393742 - 07/29/05 06:54 PM Re: Should an Internal Auditor be Exempt/Officer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't you find an independence and objectivity problem if you are involved in operations of the bank...being that you actually audit them?

Return to Top
#393743 - 07/29/05 10:34 PM Re: Should an Internal Auditor be Exempt/Officer?
SBR Offline
New Poster
I have not had overtime as my employer is very generous with managing my work load, but there are other benefits of being classified exempt...I think they like the status quo of my situation the way it is, but I would like it to be different. I guess this is where I need to talk to them about the value I bring to the bank!

Return to Top
#393744 - 08/02/05 07:37 PM Re: Should an Internal Auditor be Exempt/Officer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What does it mean to be "exempt"?

Return to Top
#393745 - 08/02/05 07:56 PM Re: Should an Internal Auditor be Exempt/Officer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My understanding is that "exempt" indicates that the employee is designated by the employer as exempt from overtime rules, based on their duties performed. Some employers use it interchangably with "benefits-eligible", which I think is what SBR meant.

-Jokerman

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z