Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#396710 - 08/04/05 03:18 PM OFAC and Appendix A of the new manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is in response to Ken's post in the response to the conference calls, but I thought it should be discussed:

Ken Wrote:

Very, very good example of a nugget. Your bank is expected to do an OFAC risk assessment. (See Appendix M in the new proceedures manual for some standards to apply.) Believe it or not, that's a good thing.

Although OFAC compliance is theoretically risk based, it's not being treated as that in the current examination process. Banks that have done an OFAC risk assessment will have a response to examiners who "suggest" that it is essential to check payees on official checks sold to customers or on-us checks cashed over the counter: "We did a risk assessment, established that we are low risk and have decided that is a risk we are going to take. We're not going to look at them."

I don't know how long it will take to get acceptance across to the examination staff, but there is no point in telling you to do a risk assessment and then saying you are not allowed to tolerate amounts of risk which you have determined to be miniscule. We'll see how it goes.

My response:

The guidance has not changed. Conduct a transaction with a prohibited party and OFAC will fine you. As always, the Board can determine that based upon their risk assessment of their customer base, they are willing to accept the risk and conduct the transactions without searching OFAC. But, that decision should be Board approved and noted in the minutes. OFAC fines still are a risk. I understand OFAC will review the bank's procedures when assessing the fine. Chose to do nothing in this area and you may be looked upon more harshly.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#396711 - 08/04/05 03:28 PM Re: OFAC and Appendix A of the new manual
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

My response:

The guidance has not changed. Conduct a transaction with a prohibited party and OFAC will fine you. As always, the Board can determine that based upon their risk assessment of their customer base, they are willing to accept the risk and conduct the transactions without searching OFAC. But, that decision should be Board approved and noted in the minutes. OFAC fines still are a risk. I understand OFAC will review the bank's procedures when assessing the fine. Chose to do nothing in this area and you may be looked upon more harshly.

The guidance hasn't changed, but the examiners' approach has. Let's face it, if we were to check against OFAC every single transaction that happens in every single bank on every single day, commerce would come to a screeching halt in this country.

How would you know if the Carlos Gonzales that is the payee on a check your customer has written is or is not the same person as on the OFAC list?

The change in attitude about ACH transactions is a good example. Prior to 9/11, NACHA and OFAC reached an agreement about the responsibilities of who checks what against OFAC for ACH transactions. That appears to have gone out the window. Practically speaking, you should only concern yourself with cross-border ACH and not domestic ACH. It's in the NACHA white paper.

OFAC used to be viewed on a risk-based approach. You check your customers at account opening, your customer base when the OFAC list changes, you check wire transactions, trade finance transactions and other transactions that have a higher risk of involving an OFAC entity.

Now I am hearing reports of examiners expecting banks to check all checks being deposited by customers, or checks written, or all ACH, etc. How many times do I need to run the YMCA against OFAC to determine it's not a hit?

We've reached such levels of hysteria that common sense got thrown out with the rest of the bathwater.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z