Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#397376 - 08/05/05 12:43 PM Lending-suspicious activity
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I wanted to create a list of what types of activity could be considered suspicious when it comes to loans. Be nice, I am not a lender...

Aside from falsifying documents and providing false financials, what other types of activity is there?

Thanks.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#397377 - 08/05/05 12:47 PM Re: Lending-suspicious activity
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Helpful thread. I know I've seen another, but can't find it.

Return to Top
#397378 - 08/05/05 12:52 PM Re: Lending-suspicious activity
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Ken.

Return to Top
#397379 - 08/05/05 01:03 PM Re: Lending-suspicious activity
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
That's weird, I was logged out...

Return to Top
#397380 - 08/05/05 01:27 PM Re: Lending-suspicious activity
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
We've been having similar discussions recently as we add various kinds of loans to our AML monitoring software.

The thread that Ken referenced has some good info. You can't discount just flat out defaulting on a loan as a money laundering scenario. RLCarey's example of buying a CD for cash then borrowing against it is classic. (and the classics never go out of style.)

One of the investigators at my bank told a story about a couple getting a mortgage on a $600,000 home. The mortgage was for $150,000, and they claimed the sale of their existing home would cover the rest. However, their existing home was, coff, a 'park-model' home (and because I was dumb enough to ask, no, it wasn't even a double-wide ). The real source of funds turned out to be cash from an armored car robbery that, unaccountably, they'd been able to sit on for a few months before attempting to spend it.

Return to Top
#397381 - 08/05/05 01:39 PM Re: Lending-suspicious activity
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Maria, we have loan fraud going on right now. Provided a false SSN on application (well it belongs to someone else), appears to have "fudged" his W2's, credti reports are messed up. Needless to say, I'm doing a SAR today!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z