Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#397774 - 08/05/05 08:55 PM SAR
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
We have a customer who provided us with a social security number that was issued in a year that does not correspond at all with her age. She came in and wanted to give us a different one because "the first one was incorrect" and the second one doesn't check out either.

Of course I am filing a SAR but I'm have a difficult time determing what to check under item 35 summary characterization of suspicious activity. Would it be a. Bank Secrecy Act/Structuring/Money Laundering?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#397775 - 08/05/05 09:01 PM Re: SAR
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
I would probably mark either "n False Statement" or "s Other" and indicate false SSN or something to that effect.

There are good explanations for the different categories in this SAR Activity Review that may help you. The discussion begins on page 39, and a good chart begins on page 40.
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
#397776 - 08/05/05 10:40 PM Re: SAR
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:

a social security number that was issued in a year that does not correspond at all with her age.

Go slow, even when you know an SSN is fraudulent, a SAR is a judgement call. In this case, it may not be fraudulent at all; I was born in 1950, but my SSN was issued in 1966.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z