Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#40013 - 10/31/02 08:52 PM DVR System
wpdcad Offline
100 Club
wpdcad
Are DVR systems really worth the expense? We now have a VCR system and are looking at DVR.
Last edited by wpdcad; 12/11/02 09:32 PM.

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#40014 - 10/31/02 11:54 PM Re: DVD System
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perhaps you're referring to DVR's, the Digital Video Recorders which are now replacing analog security VCRs at some financial institutions?
If so, I can outline some benefits and some disadvantages for you. I won't pretend to be impartial, because I work for a firm that makes money selling and servicing security equipment.

Pros for Digital:
-The picture quality can for outstrip tape.
-There are no tapes to go bad. (Hard drives do fail, but less than VCR tapes.)
-Many DVRs let you dial in and retrieve pictures from your desk hundreds of miles from the site.
-Many DVRs can be electronically monitored from a central site, allowing your security staff to take immediate action on disabled units.
-Less labor for on-site staff. No tapes to change!
-Also, you can just request "October 02, 2002, 10:00AM, Camera 7" or similar from many DVRs without having to find the right tape and then fast-forward to the right frame. Of course, you can search a period of time surrounding an event too if you have to.

Cons for Digital:
-Due to the lack of swappable tape, most DVR systems only store pictures for 3-6 months. Unless you order extra hard drives, you can't archive a year like some banks are fond of doing.
-Cost. Cheap VCRs are cheaper than the cheapest DVR, although the price difference between a good, reliable security VCR and a low-end but reliable DVR may be smaller than you'd think.
-Your staff will need to learn how to retrieve pictures on the DVR, and it is different than the old VCRs. It's not too hard though, and many have friendly Windows-style interfaces.

Return to Top
#40015 - 11/01/02 05:04 AM Re: DVD System
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I've been using DVRs since July, and I am quite happy with them. In addition to the very comprehensive cost/benefit analysis posted by anon, another inportant question is how many losses have you not been able to recover becasue of bad/no tapes?

Also, most DVR systems are either scalable, or allow external archiving (DAT, ZIP, or CD)

Return to Top
#40016 - 11/01/02 02:07 PM Re: DVD System
Dana Turner Offline

Platinum Poster
Dana Turner
Pipe Creek TX - U.S.
wpdcad:

Another "pro" is that images can be enhanced easily -- with significantly better quality than tape.

Return to Top
#40017 - 11/01/02 03:00 PM Re: DVD System
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
As for the one year retention - in Kentucky it's required.

Return to Top
#40018 - 11/01/02 08:27 PM Re: DVD System
JoeBanker Offline
New Poster
JoeBanker
TX
I would also think it is easier to edit out only what applies to a certain security situation and not to have to give the police or insuranc ecompany or whoever the whole thing like you do with video. You can also make multiple copies, email pictures to law enforcement, etc.........

Return to Top
#40019 - 11/01/02 08:51 PM Re: DVD System
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
And have you see the resolution on some of these! You can see the screen saver on computers across the room! even read post-it notes!

Return to Top
#40020 - 11/03/02 02:59 AM Re: DVD System
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Agreed, Joe. The privacy benefits are also a plus. In addition, it's a huge timesaver. Shortly after I got my DVR system, I got a call at the close of business one day about an alleged forgery incident. By the next morning, I was dropping off a CD at the police station. Every officer in the station gathered around the computer to see this 'new system' in action- and they all loved it.

Return to Top
#40021 - 11/12/02 01:22 AM Re: DVD System
Anonymous
Unregistered

Autumn, can you provide me a cite for the "one year mandatory retention" in Kentucky law/reg?
I'm the anonymous from the 2nd post in this thread.

Return to Top
#40022 - 11/12/02 12:20 PM Re: DVD System
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
It's listed on the Kentucky Retention Schedule. You can obtain one by contacting Rick Jones at the DFI's office in Frankfort #1-800-223-2579. I work in Indiana now and Indiana doesn't have their own retention schedule, but KY does.

Return to Top
#40023 - 12/11/02 09:31 PM Re: DVD System
wpdcad Offline
100 Club
wpdcad
Would you mind sharing vendor names and contact information.

Return to Top
#40024 - 12/11/02 09:49 PM Re: DVD System
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
You should have a pm waiting for you.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z