Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#412016 - 08/23/05 02:38 PM Non-customer check cashing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our bank, like many banks, permits non-customers to cash on-us checks. We document the identification (generally a driver's license) on the back of the check. We have had a customer fiercly refuse us to write his driver's license number or any other identification on the back of the check. (this is a non-customer cashing an on-us check) We know that's it's the person because we have their ID in front of us. The check is drawn on-us so we have verified funds, stop payments, etc. Have any other banks had customers who demanded you not write identification on the back of the check? I know there's no written law (that I know of) that says a bank must document identification when cashing checks. What exactly can we say to our customer?Just wanted a few opinions here. Thanks.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#412017 - 08/23/05 03:30 PM Re: Non-customer check cashing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Could your teller possibly write the ID number on a miscellaneous transaction receipt/ticket and referenced to (or attached to a photocopy of) the on-us check in question?

Return to Top
#412018 - 08/23/05 03:45 PM Re: Non-customer check cashing
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Or on the cash-out ticket. That's what my former employer started doing.

Return to Top
#412019 - 08/23/05 04:06 PM Re: Non-customer check cashing
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
If he does not want it documented for privacy issues, I doubt he would want it on another piece of paper.
Why not try a cross-sell.
Make him a customer and then it will be ID on file.

Return to Top
#412020 - 08/23/05 05:09 PM Re: Non-customer check cashing
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
I am not sure this would work in a US Culture , But give Him/her two choices

1) either take all details of his Driver License on back of check

2) Use a Thump Print Program , which means you need to take thump prints of all non-customers cashing checks at ur bank

Return to Top
#412021 - 08/23/05 06:03 PM Re: Non-customer check cashing
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
well, you always have the option of telling the customer that if he won't provide the information, you won't cash the check. Having the information is for your benefit, not his. If the item is returned (your customer gets his statement and claims fraudulent, altered, forgery, etc.), how will you get in touch with this person? You won't, and will be stuck with the item.

Hussam - thumbprints don't really work as a method of identifying customers after the fact.

Return to Top
#412022 - 08/23/05 06:19 PM Re: Non-customer check cashing
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
He can't go to a merchant and pay by check without showing his drivers license and the sales clerk usually writes that on the front of the check.

He is a non customer and it is your bank who has a policy of writing the ID information of the endorser on the back of the check. IMO he complies or goes somewhere else.

Of course he will be telling your customer a bunch of yuck, but it's been my experience that customers usually appreciate the bank looking out after their interests.

Return to Top
#412023 - 08/23/05 07:12 PM Re: Non-customer check cashing
cologirl@heart Offline
Gold Star
cologirl@heart
WY - still a CO girl, though
I had a personal situation where my ex's mom sent my son a check for his birthday. I went to my bank to cash it and they wanted to write my account on the back of the check. I asked them not to. I know that my ex knows where I bank and don't want that information getting to him. Seeing as how I was at my bank it wasn't a huge issue, but they did have to get a supervisor to approve the deal.

Had I been a non-customer, I would expect to have my information all over the check. But then I work in the returns end of it all....

Return to Top
#412024 - 08/23/05 10:55 PM Re: Non-customer check cashing
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
Quote:

Hussam - thumbprints don't really work as a method of identifying customers after the fact.

I didnt get it....you mean they can not adentify the customer after he cashed the check even though they have his/her thump print ?

Return to Top
#412025 - 08/24/05 02:34 PM Re: Non-customer check cashing
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Most U.S. citizens' fingerprints are not on file anywhere. Consequently, the thumbprint would only be useful to confirm that it did or did not belong to the payee. Unless the casher were a felon or other person with a print on file, the print would not lead to him/her.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#412026 - 08/24/05 04:43 PM Re: Non-customer check cashing
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I don't know about other states, but California does obtain a thumbprint before issuing a Driver's License. I believe some other states also do this, but I don't know which ones.

What I don't know is if the DMV will assist a bank in matching up the thumbprint over a bad check.

Return to Top
#412027 - 08/24/05 05:12 PM Re: Non-customer check cashing
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
TX does the "thumbprint thing" when issuing a DL.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z