Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#413486 - 08/24/05 08:32 PM POS Disputes
Happy Camper Offline
100 Club
2FALLS
We have a customer who filed several forgery affidavits about one year ago. At the time, the customer believed his son stole his checks. We closed the account and opened a new account for the customer, explaining the importance of safegaurding checks, etc. from further misuse.

Our customer is now back and is claiming forgery and POS disputes and again says he believes his son stole his checks and debit card. Do we have to honor the POS disputes or is there something similar to the UCC regarding forgeries that the customer did not excercise ordinary care and deny his claim?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#413487 - 08/24/05 08:46 PM Re: POS Disputes
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
You will have to honor the POS disputes. I am assuming the customer has never authorized the son to use the card, as they have had prior bad experience. I would ask the family to file a police report for the stolen card and the purchases. Then I would pursue prosecution of the son if I could get him on film using the card or maybe get hand writing analysis.

Return to Top
#413488 - 08/24/05 08:52 PM Re: POS Disputes
Happy Camper Offline
100 Club
2FALLS
Does it make a difference if any of the disputes are PIN transactions?

Return to Top
#413489 - 08/24/05 09:11 PM Re: POS Disputes
Zamboni Driver Offline
Platinum Poster
Zamboni Driver
Going round and round
POS or PIN, it doesn't make a difference. Either way, you have to accept the claims, unless, as Whodunit said, the father previously gave the son permission to use the card, then revoked it and didn't notify the bank that the son was no longer authorized to use the card.

Also, you can ask the customer to file the police report, but you cannot require it. And if they do not file the police report, you cannot use that as a reason to deny the claim.

Return to Top
#413490 - 08/24/05 09:17 PM Re: POS Disputes
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
But you certainly will want to think heavily as to whether to issue them another debit card. When you ordered a new debit card for the customer, did you also change the PIN? Just curious.

Return to Top
#413491 - 08/24/05 09:25 PM Re: POS Disputes
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
I too would hesitate to order another card or open another account for this customer. This could very easily turn into a situation where the consumer knows exactly what is going on when the card gets "stolen".

Return to Top
#413492 - 08/24/05 09:44 PM Re: POS Disputes
Happy Camper Offline
100 Club
2FALLS
Yes, we do change the PIN when we reorder a new card. We have already closed the account and will not be opening a new account due to the history with this customer. Thanks for all the help!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z