Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#442150 - 10/17/05 07:43 PM Church Loans
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Does Your Bank Make Church Loans? I couldn't get the Poll to accept the last question which is

Does being able to take CRA Small Business Credit provide any additional incentive to make these loans?
Have Knowledgable Lenders And Do Make Them
multiple choice

Votes accepted starting: 10/17/05 04:00 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Not Enough Knowedge To Make Them
multiple choice

No Market For Them
multiple choice

Would Prefer No Request Be Received
multiple choice

Return to Top
CRA
#442151 - 10/17/05 08:27 PM Re: Church Loans
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
We do not have an active marketing program for church loans but word of mouth has brought us a significant portfolio of them.

They are unique and must be treated likewise.

Then there is always the fear of what to do it one actually goes bad. We have only had real trouble with one church and we worked VERY hard to work it out with them. Now they are back on their feet. The last thing we want to do is ever foreclose on one. Re-sale would be no problem. Public opinion, on the other hand, would be horrible.

Return to Top
#442152 - 10/17/05 08:40 PM Re: Church Loans
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Now let's see the start up restaurant questionaire

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#442153 - 10/17/05 09:27 PM Re: Church Loans
TomS Offline
Gold Star
USA
Quote:

Then there is always the fear of what to do it one actually goes bad. We have only had real trouble with one church and we worked VERY hard to work it out with them. Now they are back on their feet. The last thing we want to do is ever foreclose on one. Re-sale would be no problem. Public opinion, on the other hand, would be horrible.

It seems to me public opinion would be worse for the church than for the bank. And are you saying you tried harder to work out the church loan than you do for other borrowers? Wouldn't that be discriminating on the basis of religion?

Return to Top
#442154 - 10/17/05 10:14 PM Re: Church Loans
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Don, I'd be interested to see this in the Lending threads. Afterall, "Church Loans" are not CRA most of the time. Did you think of placing it there and decide here was a better idea? You'll certainly not find as many lenders here....

Return to Top
#442155 - 10/17/05 10:50 PM Re: Church Loans
Raymond Offline
Platinum Poster
Raymond
The Land of OZ
Our bank has several church loans and good experience in making them. With any specialized lending, we have had a few go bad. But all-in-all, the portfolio is a nice addition to the bank.

In making a church loan, you normally get the church account and a large group of their members to bank with you.

Return to Top
#442156 - 10/17/05 11:24 PM Re: Church Loans
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
"Don, I'd be interested to see this in the Lending threads"

Dawnie Church Loans do qualify as CRA Small Business Loans if they meet the $1 mil and under criteria etc just like any other Small Business.

I was trying to find out if there was a market to originate the loans, and next to see if the CRA credit is an incentive is factor considered in making them. Except I screwed up the post and that question didn't take for some reason.

Return to Top
#442157 - 10/18/05 01:13 PM Re: Church Loans
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
Yes, I will admit that we did try a little harder to 'workout' the church loan. And no, I don't think public opinion would have looked worse for the church than for us. We would have been made out to be the "big bad business" that put the church out of business. In fact, it was a dishonest building contractor that put them in that position. However, anyone with experience with local newspapers knows that the whole truth is not always revealed.

As for it being discrimination, it was simply a business decision. We did not want the negative attention of foreclosing on a church and since the church and the congregation were willing to keep trying to work this out, we helped them along.

Return to Top
#442158 - 10/18/05 01:38 PM Re: Church Loans
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
Quote:

I was trying to find out if there was a market to originate the loans, and next to see if the CRA credit is an incentive is factor considered in making them.

CRA credit was not our incentive to make the church loans. We have been making church loans for a long time and originally got into them because we wanted to serve our community.

Getting credit for them now is just a bonus. And yes, we do get credit for most of them.

Return to Top
#442159 - 10/18/05 05:26 PM Re: Church Loans
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
We make a number of church loans, both loans that would and would not qualify for CRA. CRA is not a selling point if the loan won't stand on its own.

Return to Top
#442160 - 10/20/05 06:10 PM Re: Church Loans
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Don I guess I was reading the question as CRA CD credit, verses CRA credit. Sorry for the confusion. We don't do any loans just because they report on the LR so my mind wasn't working the same way yours was

We could care less of a loan reports on the LR, but do sometimes make an extra effort for approval if it meets CRA CD standards. Those are rarely church loans though.

And as KC points out, CRA reportability (CD or LR) never is a factor when a loan won't stand on it's own.

Return to Top