Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#577315 - 06/29/06 02:59 PM Exempt employee hours
susann55 Offline
New Poster
If you have an exempt employee normally they are required to work 40 hours a week. There is nothing in the employee handbook stating different. The comment is made that whatever amount of time your job requires is what will be worked or what is expected. My thoughts are if you don't have the work load requiring you to work more than 40 than that should be fine. The branch supervisor thinks that because he works 45 hours a week it is expected that you to do this. Is there anything within the exempt code that states 40 hours is the norm or where to find the reg/law? Just trying to keep the conflict at minimal!

Return to Top
Human Resources
#577316 - 06/29/06 03:42 PM Re: Exempt employee hours
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Hours for exempt are technically whatever your bank's standard work hours are; some are 37.5, some are 40, etc. In many cases, exempt employees are expected to be there early and leave late. This gets silly because some people are more efficient, others are just sitting there doodling but want to be seen by management to be there long hours, others are there knocking themselves out working very hard.

No rhyme or reason and it is one way you lose by being exempt! No overtime no matter how many hours.

This is how some companies get in trouble by stretching the exempt categories, requiring long hours and then getting sued for OT.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#577317 - 06/29/06 03:51 PM Re: Exempt employee hours
susann55 Offline
New Poster
This is the case where they are sitting there doodling and management wants them there in excess of 40. I think that is terrible especially for moral. Something should be done to have the exempt category revised. In the meantime I will tell them to deal with it. Thank you for help and input.

Return to Top
#577318 - 06/29/06 06:08 PM Re: Exempt employee hours
Banking Bard Offline
100 Club
Kentucky
I was under the impression that an exempt position is required to put in whatever time is necessary to complete their job/duties. If a position doesn't have enough duties that require a standard workweek of hours, then maybe it's duties need to be re-evaluated.

On the other hand, if someone is efficient enough to do their job in 38 hours instead of the 42 that it takes someone else with the same duties, why should they be required to stay the extra four hours just to make management feel like they're getting their money's worth?

Return to Top
#577319 - 06/29/06 06:54 PM Re: Exempt employee hours
susann55 Offline
New Poster
I completly agree! I think with the market slowing now on the real estate and loan side with rates moving upwards that being in an exempt position and having lack of work isn't being understood my mangement.

Return to Top
#577320 - 06/29/06 07:06 PM Re: Exempt employee hours
Sheila K Offline
Phoenix, AZ
Does the position require "core hours" or assistance to customers? In that case, I could understand being there for 40 hours, even if there is no one to help, you still have to be there while the doors are open.

Return to Top
#577321 - 06/29/06 07:20 PM Re: Exempt employee hours
susann55 Offline
New Poster
The position is loan officer and they do assist customers. However there is more than one in the office. So there is always someone there to help customers if needed. They are working the 40 they just don't think they should have to work more than 40 unless the current work load is calling for it.

Return to Top
#577322 - 07/20/06 08:11 PM Re: Exempt employee hours
Edr55 Offline
Gold Star
Edr55
hmmmm, I think there should be some, and I mean SOME latitude, if they put in 80 hour weeks during particularily peak times, they should be able to cut out a little early, and extend their lunch on occasion to balance back closer to a peer type work time. I would interpret based on what I read, that there is already a work ethic problem, and assume that the extremely long work weeks don't hardly exist with this particular officer.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry