BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#58233 - 06/18/03 05:51 AM Re: Exempt and non-exempt status
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
What about the Business Development Officer who spends a lot of time outside the office, meeting clients, taking them to lunch, playing in golf tournaments, etc.?

While I can see an underwriter would not qualify as exempt, it seems weird to pay someone overtime while they're finishing the back 9.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#58234 - 06/18/03 04:02 PM Re: Exempt and non-exempt status
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Typically, BDO's fall under the "Outside Sales Exemption" if they are customarily and regularly engaged out of the bank to solicit business. They would be exempt. Depending on the size of the bank, salaries can range up to $250k+.

Return to Top
#58235 - 06/18/03 11:05 PM Re: Exempt and non-exempt status
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Actually Bob, I was a BDO when the suit with BofA came into play. We were included in the mix, and yes, even with our salaries at six figure levels. (Gad I miss that salary)

While it seems bad to pay overtime for the back nine, I have to say that sometimes Bonnie...I'd have killed for a free afternoon or weekend with no social obligations. All of the darned things were work related (I didn't even live in the same county as I worked) and in the position you sort of have to go. It may be fun...but it's work, and you have to "work" extra at the office to cover the work you miss while working....

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#58236 - 06/27/03 03:36 AM Re: Exempt and non-exempt status
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Have any of you read of the proposed rules by the Bush administration that would reclassify many jobs as "exempt"?

There was an article on MSN - 8 million could lose overtime pay

Anyone have an idea how close this may come to pass?

Return to Top
#58237 - 06/27/03 02:00 PM Re: Exempt and non-exempt status
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Quote:

Have any of you read of the proposed rules by the Bush administration that would reclassify many jobs as "exempt"?

The proposed regs came out earlier this year. Public comment has been received. The regs should be finalized and out by the end of the year. As I perform exemption tests for clients, I use both the current and proposed regs as part of my decision process.

Return to Top
#58238 - 12/10/03 10:05 PM Re: Exempt and non-exempt status
conniew Offline
100 Club
conniew
St. Louis, MO
I am still fairly new to the HR function. Where do I find the "tests"? We are looking to add a position to our Loan Adm dept that would be a non-officer, supervisory position. The Dept head does not want this position to be eligible for overtime. Thanks!

Return to Top
#58239 - 12/11/03 01:41 AM Re: Exempt and non-exempt status
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Sorry Connie, but it already looks like this position won't pass the test. I will send you the tests tomorrow. I am out of the office and can't get to my office PC.

Return to Top
#58240 - 12/11/03 06:10 PM Re: Exempt and non-exempt status
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Connie go here: Side by Side DOL Test. This is a side by side comparison test of the current and new regs. If you get stuck send me a PM and I will walk you through it.

Return to Top
#58241 - 12/11/03 10:24 PM Re: Exempt and non-exempt status
conniew Offline
100 Club
conniew
St. Louis, MO
Thanks, Bob! I will use this for future reference. We've decided to make this an officer position with supervisory responsibilities.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry