Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#625066 - 10/13/06 09:47 PM Preauthorized ACH Stop Payments
NeverEndingSupport Offline
100 Club
Alaska
Does anyone have a 'combined' stop payment form that they could share with me for Preauthorized ACH Debits that allows for one-time stops of an ACH debit as well as stopping any recurring debits from the same originator?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#625067 - 10/26/06 07:24 PM Re: Preauthorized ACH Stop Payments
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Trying to understand... does the customer want to forever revoke authorization or just a one time stop pay?

If it's "I no longer want the merchant debiting my account" they should notify the merchant that they no longer wish to deal business with them... if after that they have debits hitting their account... have them fill an unauthorized claim saying when they revoked authorization and fill out the WSSUP...return it R07 and handle the issue that way...of course refunding your customer for any loss to their account. Remember R07 may not be used for POP entries, Single-Web Entries, or TEL entries.

"If it's a one time Stop but I still want to deal business" just fill out a regular stop payment request and as long as it's on the system before the debit hits their account it should be stopped...return it R08.

Return to Top
#625068 - 10/26/06 07:22 PM Re: Preauthorized ACH Stop Payments
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Do watch out for the first two Official Staff Interpretation to Regulation E Section 205.10(c). There, you will see that, if your consumer customer indicates that he or she is revoking the Originator's authorization, you have to prevent all future payments for the debit authorization. You can require documentation of the revocation.

Note also that even though NACHA rules say that an ACH stop is no longer effective once the item has been stopped and returned, Reg. E requires that you keep the stop active to ensure that the stopped item doesn't get resubmitted (resubmission of a stopped debit is a rules violation, but ...)
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z