Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#639717 - 11/17/06 11:28 PM REG E - Customer failed to notify bank
Banker Cat Offline
Banker Cat
McAllen, TX
A customer lost her card on Sunday afternoon, I happened to call her the next Friday as a "courtesy" to let her know about her Overdrafts. She then said "oh Duh. Yeah I lost my debit card on Sunday" She had no reason for not reporting the stolen card she just didn't think anyone would use it. MY POINT is: OK, she's liable for up to the $500.00 - that I have determined - HOWEVER, do I still send the transactions back? and if I do, and we get credit. does SHE get this credit? She really didn't report the card lost/stolen, it just so happened that I called her for another reason. ????

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#639718 - 11/17/06 11:55 PM Re: REG E - Customer failed to notify bank
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Just me thinking out loud, but regardless of who initiated the call, once she told you the card was lost, the "report" happened then. You should definitely try to send back the transactions if possible. I believe if you get reimbursed for all or part of the transactions, you cannot hold the customer liable for any more than your bank is out, otherwise your bank would be profiting from the unauthorized activity.

Return to Top
#639719 - 11/18/06 12:18 AM Re: REG E - Customer failed to notify bank
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
GD is correct. And watch out for the liability calculation. As an example, if the withdrawals all happened within the first two business days, the customer has a $50 liability. So those returns may decrease your loss.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#641895 - 11/24/06 05:21 PM Re: REG E - Customer failed to notify bank Andy_Z
Banker Cat Offline
Banker Cat
McAllen, TX
Thanks Guys! All transactions actually happened 2-5 days later! So yes, she's liable for those transactions... and a lot of them were gas purchases...shoe, clothes shopping etc...small amounts - but a ton of them. Good Seminar the other day Andy.
Mary

Return to Top
#645985 - 12/01/06 09:19 PM Re: REG E - Customer failed to notify bank Banker Cat
--houri-- Offline
Los Angeles, CA
If the transaction slips come back with a signature - even if it's not hers - the Bank takes the loss. The only way you can take this matter further is if you recover the lost card and can prove that the signature on the back does not match her signature. Also keep in mind MasterCard/Visa's Zero Liability rule, if it applies in this case.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z