Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#661099 - 01/04/07 05:41 PM Authorized?
biz Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Mom gives daughter #1 permission to use debit card & pin to rent a moving truck and fill it with gas. Daughter #1, for whatever reason, gives the card to daughter #2 to go rent the truck and fill it with gas. Daughter #2 also takes the liberty of using the card at the local department store and restuarant. Mom says daughter #2 was not authorized and wants us to give her back the money.

So, are the department store and restuarant transactions authorized?

It seems to me that mom authorized #1 to use the card. The fact that she used it by giving it to #2, shouldn't be our expense, but something tells me . . . .

Please tell me its not true and where, either way, I can look it up. Sorry-new to this side of the office.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#661108 - 01/04/07 05:47 PM Re: Authorized? biz
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I would be happy to give her the money back and file a claim, if she is willing to either herself or us to contact the police and file a report and allow us to prosecute daughter #2 for theft and fraud.

Return to Top
#661126 - 01/04/07 05:59 PM Re: Authorized? #Just Jay
biz Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Oh-I'm sure we will, if we have to pay. But do we have to pay?

Return to Top
#661128 - 01/04/07 06:03 PM Re: Authorized? biz
MN Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
I'm not an expert, but I would say yes. She did not authorize daughter #2 to use the card. Daughter #1 has no authority to authorize someone else to use it.

Return to Top
#661145 - 01/04/07 06:20 PM Re: Authorized? MN Banker
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Unfortunately, I agree with MN Banker.

Return to Top
#661167 - 01/04/07 06:52 PM Re: Authorized? Skittles
Anonymous
Unregistered

How does your Debit Card Agreement read? We have that scenario in our Debit Card Agreement. Should a 4th party become involved in a transaction due to the customer giving permission to a third party and the third party gives the card/pin to the 4th party. the customer assumes liability and the bank assumes customer gave permission for use.

Return to Top
#661186 - 01/04/07 07:03 PM Re: Authorized? biz
RayLynch Offline
Platinum Poster
RayLynch
You may want to ask some more questions about whether daughter #2 was present with daughter #1 when Mom gave her instructions to daughter #1. You should also ask Mom for more details on what she told daughter #1. Depending on the answers given by Mom you might have a basis for determining that Mom also authorized daughter #2 to use the card. The point about checking your disclosure agreement is well taken as you may have addressed this situation in your agreement.

Return to Top
#661381 - 01/04/07 09:45 PM Re: Authorized? RayLynch
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I don't want to rain on your attorney's parade, PStalfort, but I don't think that an agent can appoint a subagent without the express approval of the principal. In other words, I don't think your debit card provision will stand up in court. But I am not an attorney, and will defer to someone who is with a different opinion.

Did Momma benefit in any way from wayward daughter #2's purchases at the department store or restaurant? If not, I think you're stuck with refunding those transactions if Momma files the claim with you. You may or may not be able to wring the money back out of her daughter.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett