Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#653875 - 12/18/06 09:32 PM What constitutes high risk for multifactor?
ndbanker Offline
We have several online solutions for customers where they do not have the ability to move funds outside our organization. Therefore, they are not high risk based on that criteria. I am trying to get a handle on what type of customer information displayed through the system would constitute a high risk rating according to the examiners. Would having addresses, account numbers, SSN's, birth dates, or any combination of these items make the online solution high risk? Does anyone have experience with discussing this topic with regulators?
Last edited by ndbanker; 12/18/06 10:32 PM.
Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#654437 - 12/19/06 09:35 PM Re: What constitutes high risk for multifactor? ndbanker
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Any internet banking option that would allow customers to transfer funds outside of your bank (ACH, wire transfers, and bill pay for example) are considered high risk. Certainly I think if you have the customers social security numbers out there that would be high risk as well. Is all that information available via your online banking?

Return to Top
#656157 - 12/22/06 12:36 PM Re: What constitutes high risk for multifactor? ndbanker
FraudHorn Offline
FraudHorn
Maine
The guidelines apply to high risk transactions (which you and SarahH have already mentioned) as well as access to any non-public, personal customer information, which as you know includes account numbers, SSN's, birthdays, etc. Also, keep in mind that the guidelines do not require multi-factor authentication, they state that when these tranascations or information are available, single-factor authentication is not sufficient. There may be other ways to reduce the risk other than multi-factor authentication, although it looks like most FIs including mine will adopt MFA.

Return to Top
#662053 - 01/05/07 08:11 PM Re: What constitutes high risk for multifactor? FraudHorn
H Cody Offline
Texas
Does a customer have the right to opt-out of multifactor authentication on their accounts?

Return to Top
#662129 - 01/05/07 09:20 PM Re: What constitutes high risk for multifactor? H Cody
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Only by opting-out of online banking totally.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z