Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#660338 - 01/03/07 04:44 PM email and other electronic document retention
lbboc Offline
Cadiz KY
Is there anything new from regulators that requires a written policy that specifically addresses retention of emails or other electronic documents? My president thinks that he has seen something that says we must have something in place as of Jan 1, 2007. I am unable to find anything. Has anyone seen this requirement?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#661062 - 01/04/07 05:06 PM Re: email and other electronic document retention lbboc
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
bump

Return to Top
#661201 - 01/04/07 07:14 PM Re: email and other electronic document retention Wore Out
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
What your president is thinking of are new rules of evidence. If you are involved in federal litigation, there are rules for turning over evidence held in e-form in a timely manner. This means that if you have it, you have to be able to find it.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061201/D8LNRQB80.html

I haven't seen an explanation that says you must retain it as a result of this law, but that you must find what you have. If you have a different opinion, please share. Otherwise I know only of SEC and SOX rules on retention.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#661256 - 01/04/07 08:04 PM Re: email and other electronic document retention Andy_Z
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
Andy,

What (or where can I find) the rules on retention under SEC and SOX?

Return to Top
#662342 - 01/06/07 02:14 PM Re: email and other electronic document retention Andy_Z
lbboc Offline
Cadiz KY
Thanks Andy, I appreciate anyone who helps to keep me straight.

Return to Top
#665890 - 01/12/07 08:57 PM Re: email and other electronic document retention lbboc
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You need to see if these apply to you. Under SOX I believe it is Section 404, and under SEC rules refer to NYSE Rule 342 and NASD Rule 3010 which require you to establish, maintain and enforce a supervisory system relating to retention of electronic communications.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z