Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#670064 - 01/23/07 02:28 PM Sweep Accounts
Kari Offline
100 Club
Kari
PA
We have a commercial customer who has a checking account. They would like to sweep money back and forth between two accounts. We do not have an outside investment account for this purpose. We have the usual savings, mmda, now, cd within our bank. Is there a way to accommodate this customer? We were thinking Saving and checking. Also where would I find information on this (sweeps), I was looking in 12 CFR 329, but it isn't giving me the info I need.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#670300 - 01/23/07 05:14 PM Re: Sweep Accounts Kari
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The problem with setting up a sweep involving a savings or MM account is that transfers FROM that account are limited under Regulation D. Your customer would need to move funds from the Savings or MM account in person in order to get around those limits. And "in person" doesn't include anything except physical presence at a branch (or ATM), by courier or other agent, or by snail mail.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#670563 - 01/23/07 08:34 PM Re: Sweep Accounts John Burnett
Kari Offline
100 Club
Kari
PA
That is the hurdle we are coming up against. Is it correct that true sweeps involve an investment account outside of the bank?

Return to Top
#671749 - 01/25/07 02:31 AM Re: Sweep Accounts Kari
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That is the typical way this is handle to avoid the transaction limitations. The down side is that the balances leave the bank's books.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett