Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#677412 - 02/01/07 02:53 PM Rewards Checking
jjames Offline
We have been approached by a vendor who is offering a Rewards Checking program. The program pays customer a higher interest rate based on certain criteria (use of bill pay, required # of debit card transactions, etc.) We have been told by some sources that the Federal Reserve is currently reviewing the product because of some regualtory concerns. Have any of you seen the product or do you have any information pertaining to the regulatory concerns? Thanks!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#677440 - 02/01/07 03:22 PM Re: Rewards Checking jjames
YHWB Offline
Platinum Poster
Out there
I have not, and have not done any research, although it sounds interesting. immediately I think of Reg E as a concern. I know that you cannot require an employee, for example, to have a checking account at your bank in order to receive their pay checks through direct deposit. I am wondering if the concerns are based on those thoughts? I will be interested in others responses...

Return to Top
#677444 - 02/01/07 03:24 PM Re: Rewards Checking YHWB
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I have not heard of any such review. Relationship pricing has been around a long time.

Return to Top
#677899 - 02/01/07 07:58 PM Re: Rewards Checking rlcarey
ABrown Offline
Gold Star
Texas
We have this type of account, although we didn't buy the 'program' - we figured out how to do it in-house. Never had any problems with the regulators.

Return to Top
#681423 - 02/06/07 10:04 PM Re: Rewards Checking ABrown
CSB98 Offline
Diamond Poster
Wisconsin
We are also looking at offering the same type of account. But we are looking at building in tiered rates based on the balance kept in the account along with the other critiera mentioned above. The only thing I can think of here is making sure the APY is calculated correctly. Should I be concerned with anything else?

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett