Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#698960 - 03/08/07 10:09 PM Overdraft Fee Notice.
complianceman Offline
Platinum Poster
complianceman
New Albany, IN
When a customers account has a negative balance for greater than 5 days, the bank will start charging the customer a $6 fee. At that time, the bank also send the customer a notice that their account is overdrawn and that they have been charged the $6 fee. Since the fee is charged daily after the 5th day until the account is at a $0 balance or current, the system print a daily notice to the customer.

Since the bank discloses such fee on the fee schedule at account opening, could the bank disclose on the 5th day that the account has been overdrawn for at least 5 calendar days and the custmer will continue to be charged the $6 fee per day the account is overdrawn?

My research tells me that we do not really have to send the 5th business day notice as long as it is disclosed at account opening.

Its been a long day and I would like to have a second opinion.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#699436 - 03/09/07 08:39 PM Re: Overdraft Fee Notice. complianceman
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
My understanding is that if it's on the fee schedule at account opening, you need no further notice that the fee has been assessed (except the summary of fees on the periodic statement). The reason for sending sustained overdraft notices is to gently remind/encourage the customer to make a deposit.
(hopefully someone will chime in if I've overlooked anything)

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett