Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#69980 - 03/26/03 09:24 PM OFAC: Search on New Hires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The OCC indicated that we should also be completing an OFAC search for new/potential hires. I can't find anything specifically addressing this.

Does anyone else complete searches on new/potential employees?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#69981 - 03/26/03 09:41 PM Re: OFAC: Search on New Hires?
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
If they open an account, OFAC is checked - same as anyone else that opens an account.

Return to Top
#69982 - 03/27/03 02:26 AM Re: OFAC: Search on New Hires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

If they open an account, OFAC is checked - same as anyone else that opens an account.

So your take on this is that the OCC means only if the new employee opens an account? Not as part of their pre-hire search?

Return to Top
#69983 - 03/27/03 03:15 PM Re: OFAC: Search on New Hires?
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
There is nothing that I know of that requires an OFAC review relating to potential new employees. Did the OCC put that thought in writing or did an examiner simply mention it to you? If it's in writing, you had better come up with a plan to do the search, if not it may be one of those urban legends with nothing that you have to do.

If it's in writing, perhaps they now want us to check OFAC when anyone even thinks about doing business with a bank or working for a bank.

Return to Top
#69984 - 03/27/03 03:36 PM Re: OFAC: Search on New Hires?
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
We have OFAC searches included in our credit reports, and we pull credit reports on all new hires. So we get the OFAC search without any extra effort, and the extra cost is literally pocket change.

Return to Top
#69985 - 03/28/03 04:30 PM Re: OFAC: Search on New Hires?
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
Same here - they also get checked when they open a new account and during our monthly database comparison. Probably overkill but oh well....

Opinions are mine and mine alone.

Return to Top
#69986 - 03/30/03 10:15 PM Re: OFAC: Search on New Hires?
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
When you think about what OFAC actually says, you should not only be checking new hires against OFAC but you should be checking vendors, etc. as well. Those on the list may not transact business with US entities or individuals. If you can't give them a bank account, you certainly can't give them a job. The regulators have been pointing this out to banks for the past year or so. When I first heard it I couldn't believe it hadn't occurred to me! It's one of those things that is right in front of you but we have been so focused on the account aspect, we never got beyond that!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#69987 - 03/31/03 11:17 PM Re: OFAC: Search on New Hires?
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
O.K., and while you are at it, you should probably run your name through OFAC, just in case.

Return to Top
#69988 - 04/01/03 12:05 AM Re: OFAC: Search on New Hires?
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
I actually did run my name for the heck of it - Thank goodness I wasn't there!

Return to Top
#69989 - 04/01/03 12:40 AM Re: OFAC: Search on New Hires?
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Quote:

O.K., and while you are at it, you should probably run your name through OFAC, just in case.

I don't think the sarcasm is necessary. You already have the software. How many new people are you adding if you are a small bank and don't have automated software, so how long will this take you? If you are a large bank, you may have an easier way of checking. It won't cost you anything (or pennies, if anything) additional to take this step, yet the downside to violation of the laws is quite large. Perhaps if you are in a very small town and only hire people you have known all of your life, you can make a decision this is not necessary. If you are not in that situation, do you want to take a chance?

Consider this instruction from the OFAC website, which impacts all of us for our CRA plans:

Through corporate giving programs, many banks contribute toward charities and other non-profits. To what extent does a bank need to review the recipients of these gifts or the principals of the charities?

Donations to charitable institutions must be handled as any other financial transaction. The donating bank or institution should crosscheck the recipient names against OFAC's SDN list and assure that the donations are in compliance with OFAC sanctions programs. [09-10-02]
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#69990 - 09/18/03 08:39 PM Re: OFAC: Search on New Hires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We do it as part of our routine OFAC search. Every employee has to be set up on our system in order to be an employee, whether they open an account or not.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry