Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#701548 - 03/14/07 09:45 PM Check scanning at home
Perplexed Offline
Perplexed
We recently had a situation with a Financial Institution that allows customers to scan their checks from home for deposit. Our mutual customer scanned a Treasury check to them for deposit. The customer then brought the original item to us for deposit. We received the item back from Treasury as already being paid. We are now out the $400. Are there any warranties or indemnities to us under Check 21? Everything we read is in reference to a loss from receipt of the substitute check instead of the original. In this case, we received the original item. Does this institution have some obligation to remove the original item from circulation?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#701591 - 03/15/07 01:49 AM Re: Check scanning at home Perplexed
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No - the customer that imaged the item has that obligation. I can already see the train wreck coming. IMHO - Any bank that allows ca onsumer to do this is just going to cause a world of hurt for themselves and all the other banks.

Return to Top
#702516 - 03/16/07 07:24 PM Re: Check scanning at home rlcarey
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
This is the Check 21 version of "the race to the bank." And I am with Randy on it. Scammers are only beginning to scratch the surface.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#702601 - 03/16/07 08:50 PM Re: Check scanning at home John Burnett
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA

Return to Top
#703347 - 03/19/07 10:16 PM Re: Check scanning at home Al Miller
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I use this service with my son's account. It is really slick. But just as a bank might accept a fraudulent check from someone, this takes it to a higher level because the check not only looks authentic, it is.

When you scan the check it instructs the customer to "VOID" it. But if you're planning on cashing it again, you have the power starting right then and there.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#703364 - 03/19/07 10:41 PM Re: Check scanning at home Andy_Z
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It's interesting to note that the bank offering this service says you can scan for deposit any check except traveler's checks and foreign checks, and it won't, of course, accept savings bonds. I share Andy's concern about dishonest payees. Will the paying bank catch the fact that a check is being presented for a second time? If and when they do, which depositary bank will hold the bag? Because one of them will, unless the crook is stupid enough not to have disappeared with his ill-gotten gains.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#703420 - 03/20/07 12:31 PM Re: Check scanning at home John Burnett
chiefwildcat Offline
chiefwildcat
Employment Bliss
What are the chances that someone creates a scanner that has an integrated stamper? Of course there would need to be a feature that would shutdown the batch transmissions if the stamper were "out of ink".

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z