Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#725177 - 05/01/07 08:39 PM Small store cashes check
joeball Offline
100 Club
joeball
Bluegrass State
We have visited all of our customers that are potential MSB's and most have told us that they do not and would not cash a check for one person over $1,000 in a day.

Today one of these customers came into a branch and said that they had gotton very busy at the store and she had cashed two checks for a customer that together were over $1,000.

Are they now required to register as an MSB? When we mention that they would have to register they always seem to get frantic and state that they would not do it again. What should our next step be?

Thanks.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#725219 - 05/01/07 09:21 PM Re: Small store cashes check joeball
AnonRegulator Offline
Gold Star
AnonRegulator
Everywhere, USA
Your customer would not have to register as an MSB if it follows FinCEN's guidance on registration and de-registration of MSBs. Look at section III on page 3 in particular. AR.

Last edited by AnonRegulator; 05/01/07 10:14 PM.
Return to Top
#725259 - 05/01/07 10:42 PM Re: Small store cashes check AnonRegulator
Tiger Fan Offline
100 Club
To add to what AnonRegulator stated, your customer would not have to register as an MSB as long as they do not act as an MSB. However, you do need to file a SAR on your customer for acting as an unregistered MSB. We were advised of this by our regulator in our last BSA exam.

Return to Top
#725282 - 05/02/07 08:42 AM Re: Small store cashes check Tiger Fan
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Your regulator is a little quick on the trigger...an MSB has 6 months to register and there would be no violation if they either registered or repented (per the guidance) in that period.

Since this customer brought it to the attention of the bank immediately and will probably be willing to follow the guidance, there is nothing suspect about the activity. Joeball might want to review a decision not to file with the EIC from his last exam and the odds are that his EIC has some sense.

Return to Top
#725335 - 05/02/07 01:28 PM Re: Small store cashes check Elwood P. Dowd
Tiger Fan Offline
100 Club
Ken, Thanks for the information. It is too late for last year's exam, but I will keep the information for future. Thanks again.

Return to Top
#725339 - 05/02/07 01:36 PM Re: Small store cashes check Tiger Fan
joeball Offline
100 Club
joeball
Bluegrass State
Thanks everyone.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z